Keyshot for Zbrush

Started by nehumanuscrede, January 30, 2015, 05:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nehumanuscrede

I did post this over on the Zbrush forums, but due to the sheer insanity that is update / upgrade launch days, it's likely to get lost in the excitement :D   Thus, I will also ask it here:

If you pick up the new Zbrush + Keyshot bundle, ( The whole package, not just the bridge plugin ) can you run this on more than one computer at a time ?

While Zbrush can be ( and always has), I'm quite curious about the Keyshot side of things.

I only ask because I already own a commercial license of Keyshot Pro 5 and I am limited to using Keyshot on a single computer at any given time. In other words, while I can have the software installed on multiple machines, the license will only activate one of them at a time. If I want to switch between my primary workstation and my mobile one, I have to deactivate the Keyshot license on the primary, then activate it on the mobile before I can use it and vice versa.

I'm curious if the same limitations will be present with the custom Zbrush version of Keyshot or not.

guest84672

Yes - this continues to be the same behavior. And here is why:

ZBrush (and other applications for that matter) will only do something when you interact with it. KeyShot will continue to render even though you are not sitting in front of it. If we allowed simultaneous activation you could kick of a rendering on one machine, and then work on the other machine. This would mean that you are using 2 licenses at the same time.

I hope this helps.

nehumanuscrede

Good enough.  Though a lot of new users to KS via Zbrush will likely be disappointed :D

Some rendering systems will allow a second install to run concurrently, some will not.  ( Especially V-Ray and their god-forsaken-obsession-with-hardware-dongles ) Mental Ray allows for Satellite / Network rendering without purchasing additional nodes if memory serves me correctly.  ( Though it may have a limit, been a while since I bothered setting up a network render with MR )

Not an issue for me since I don't own a render farm, but for those that do have one, they would certainly have to weigh cost of network rendering vs overall ease of use.