Main Menu

Crab Mech

Started by Despot, July 08, 2015, 06:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

Just playing with material labels... the yellow/orange areas have a label added, set to a rough metal to emulate some kind of worn paint look...

A little bit of coloured vignette and some AO

Probably my first render for 20 years where I have used a full specular reflection for a ground plane - I still think it looks cool as a cucumber

Thanks for looking

J

TpwUK

Yeah - I can dig this :)
Great materials work again J

Martin

Despot

Yep, you would be able to dig with it - it has diggy claws ;)

Thanks Martin

J

TpwUK

Esben Oxholm

Looks great. I'm digging all the scratches!

SteveTalkowski

Looking good!

Do the labels have areas pre-painted to correspond with the worn edges? I'm thinking about Substance Painter workflow here, thinking that you can bring in an edge-worn map created from a curvature map.  I have to confess that I really haven't delved into the material editor in the beta and really would love to know if we can layer up materials so that - for example - we could have a base metal material, then on top of that, a scuffed up and edge-worn paint layer. Really needing a layered shader inside Keyshot!

-Steve

Despot

Hey Steve, thanks...

But no, I'm afraid it's just random and at the moment there is no way of actually layering materials to achieve the worn paint/base metal scenario you mentioned...

Although you can get something similar by using Curvature and use textures to drive the inputs - look at my tarnished teapot to see what I mean

We should gang up on Luxion for a layered shader system.... just joking.

Cheers

J

SteveTalkowski

Trust me, they've been getting an earful from me for quite some time about it. :)

We'll guide 'em in the right direction.  ;)

soren

The label system is in fact mixing of materials. You can use label material opacity maps to determine what part of a surface shows which material.

For example, if you have a metal material as base with e.g. plastic as a label with curvature as an opacity map (on the label) you can mask out the base material (metal) depending on curvature. Is there any way this is not what you are referring to as "layered materials"? The workflow with labels may not be the most obvious for complex cases, and we have it on the todo-list to improve it.

Despot

Just tried what you suggested Soren and KeyShot ground to an almost halt when I added Curvature to the Opacity slot - got 0.5 FPS. If you can get this to work you need to show an example please

What's really needed is a true layering system, similar to photoshop I suppose where you can add Metal on one layer, Plastic on the one below and use either values or textures to blend them.Obviously on each layer you can use textures, bump maps, roughness, opacity - just like you can now. Hope that makes sense

Cheers

J

soren

The label system is a photoshop-style layering system with the base material as the background. We have it on the todo-list to make it possible to make it more explicit in the future (e.g. with a mix material node or similar).

Curvature is a slow procedural, so performance may be an issue and I already have that on the todo-list. Is it also much slower if you use another procedural or a texture map for example?

Søren