Main Menu

TriLimb SkinThing

Started by bdesign, March 30, 2016, 09:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdesign

I've been experimenting to see what kind of "skin" I could achieve with the material graph. Here is a render of one result on a funky organic shape.

Eric

Esben Oxholm

Very cool!
I love how the veins are showing in the translucent parts - really well done!

Robb63

That is amazing and grotesque all at the same time. Well done!!

bdesign

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on March 30, 2016, 12:56:24 PM
Very cool!
I love how the veins are showing in the translucent parts - really well done!
Thank you, Esben! It is a high compliment coming from you; you're an incredible artist!

Quote from: Robb63 on March 30, 2016, 01:03:35 PM
That is amazing and grotesque all at the same time. Well done!!
Thank you, Robb63! I really love your description!

Again, thank you both for the kind words.

Eric

Josh3D

Magnus Skogsfjord

I'm exactly sure why, but I really like this one! As pointed out, grotesque and cool at the same time. The tips of these..well..fingers(?)..has the same visual feeling as when you lay your hands over a powerful light source. It's the power of the translucent material I guess.

+1 on texturing too. Well done!

bdesign

Quote from: Josh Mings on March 31, 2016, 01:50:12 PM
Yeah, this looks great!
Thanks, Josh!
Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on March 31, 2016, 01:56:20 PM
I'm exactly sure why, but I really like this one! As pointed out, grotesque and cool at the same time. The tips of these..well..fingers(?)..has the same visual feeling as when you lay your hands over a powerful light source. It's the power of the translucent material I guess.

+1 on texturing too. Well done!

Thanks, Magnus! "Grotesque and cool" is alright in my book :)  I started out simple, just trying to develop the base "skin" method, and then just kept experimenting with additional levels of detail. I love the how the material graph allows such spontaneous creativity with immediate visual feedback...try this...remove that...add more, and more, and more... I'm kind of a detail nut, so I appreciate the kind words on the texturing!

Eric

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: bdesign on March 31, 2016, 02:11:38 PM
Thanks, Magnus! "Grotesque and cool" is alright in my book :)  I started out simple, just trying to develop the base "skin" method, and then just kept experimenting with additional levels of detail. I love the how the material graph allows such spontaneous creativity with immediate visual feedback...try this...remove that...add more, and more, and more... I'm kind of a detail nut, so I appreciate the kind words on the texturing!

I couldn't agree more with you. The material graph has really taken the software leaps ahead of it's predecessors. Much fun! I'm a detail guy myself, but I am constantly in awe of all the details some of the artists put into their work here. As Esben pointed out, those veins makes no exception:)

bdesign

Thanks again, Magnus! I really appreciate your observations.

"God is in the details." -Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Eric

timbudtwo

This looks like the Shub-Niggurath from quake

Will Gibbons

Haha, this is disgusting... and awesome!

leodin

very well done - but I believe it could get even better..  :)

maybe some wet areas or tiny hair..  don't know

edit: maybe this rendering shows what I mean..
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?379147-Skin-in-Cycles-Emily-2-1/page3