Keyshot 6 Transparency Issues

Started by Zesiul, May 12, 2016, 01:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zesiul

Hello,

I am using the latest version of Keyshot (6.1.72) on Mac, I do have also the Zbrush to Keyshot bridge as a plugin, but I'm not using it currently. This issue happens to me even with the standard models built into Keyshot.

So when I select a standard Sphere from the "edit>add geometry tab", and try to apply an alpha map to the material's opacity tab, I run into a terrible problem. One I've tried so many times to fix, but haven't been able to. Obviously I need this to be fixed for my own projects, but it's happening with even the basic Keyshot geometry.

The area in the model that is suppose to be transparent suddenly fills with the background and also creates a very strange streaking artifact. I can't for the life of me understand how to fix this issue. Have any of you run into this issue? I've attached a few images for examples of what I mean.

I've tried to save my renders as all transparent options (PNG, PSD, TIFF, etc.) with no luck. I've tried on my copy of keyshot (educational) as well as my teacher's and friends, all versions seem to have this issue as far as I can tell.

Help!

guest84672

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Seems to work without any issues.

Can you save the scene and share?

Zesiul

Quote from: thomasteger on May 12, 2016, 02:08:02 PM
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Seems to work without any issues.

Can you save the scene and share?

Sure, here is the actual scene I'm trying to render. I used alpha layers on my Monkey's fur. For some reason the above issue is happening, and I'm unsure how/why or what I can do to fix it. The alphas are on his arms and legs. Look there for the issue examples.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmkqh8equ05bgos/scene.ksp?dl=0

Niko Planke

Hello Zesiul,

This looks like an issue with the anti aliasing in advanced rendering mode.
You can try to:
Increase the anti-aliasing value.
Use an other Background color inside KeyShot, which has a higher contrast in relation to the models edges color.
Use the Maximum samples/Time rendering mode.

Let me know if that impacts the outcome.

Zesiul

Quote from: Niko Planke on May 13, 2016, 02:44:29 AM
Hello Zesiul,

This looks like an issue with the anti aliasing in advanced rendering mode.
You can try to:
Increase the anti-aliasing value.
Use an other Background color inside KeyShot, which has a higher contrast in relation to the models edges color.
Use the Maximum samples/Time rendering mode.

Let me know if that impacts the outcome.

Smiling up the anti aliasing from 1 to 8 didn't do anything. Opting out of advanced controls and moving to max samples or max time also doesn't work.
I tried having the background be opposite values (black and white) as well as opposite hues (red to blue) and still no luck. I don't understand why.

guest84672

You do realize that your object is completely below the ground plane?

Once I moved the monkey above the ground plane, and made the ground plan a bit smaller, it looked fine.

Zesiul

Quote from: thomasteger on May 13, 2016, 11:50:51 AM
You do realize that your object is completely below the ground plane?

Once I moved the monkey above the ground plane, and made the ground plan a bit smaller, it looked fine.

I do realize that. I do it so the render doesn't get messy shadows along it, while I can still maintain the shadows on the figure. I've found that shadows on the form are still in affect if I keep the model bellow the ground, while the ground ones are removed.

Anyway, moving it above the ground isn't working for me. Like I said, I just stay up keyshot, throw in a default ball. Add a transparency map in the opacity tab of the material, and for some reason it still keeps he background.

It doesn't matter if all my settings are maxed, what environment I'm on, whether I have all my ram devoted to keyshot. I'm just purplexed as to why it happens. Is it the version of keyshot I have? Why is it supposively working for everyone on here except me?

guest84672

You can turn the ground shadow off in the environment tab if you prefer to not to have any ground shadows.

But it certainly is weird. I suggest you contact support@luxion.com so they can do an online meeting with you to understand what is going on.

sethcshort

In regards to your issue of the background being retained inside the transparent areas of a material, you're not the only one having this problem. It seems that the renderer doesn't treat texture alpha as expected when rendering.

There IS a workaround, which is to turn the main texture into "Emissive" with all options unchecked (essentially turning off the main texture) and using Labels to texture the object instead. This works pretty well. See here:

https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=9952.0

and here:

https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=12635.0 (where it takes me several tries to figure out what @bdesign was trying to explain).