Keyshot 4.3.18 keeps crashing out PLEASE HELP!

Started by tom123456789, April 19, 2014, 03:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom123456789

Hi All,

Ive been having HUGE problem with keyshot 4 and i cant see a way out.... :(

Ive been using keyshot for ages now but I've been using it more at home recently and cant seem to get round it crashing.

I have reinstalled keyshot multiple times, and solidworks even more. Ive just been out and spent 600quid on more RAM and a new graphics card.....still had the same problem  - So just did a full clean install of windows 7 hoping it would sort it....It didn't...I'm totally stick for ideas..can anyone help?

THE PROBLEM
I cant seem to import fairly basic parts without keyshot crashing (normally hangs and eventually says not responding)
If by chance I get the file in - and save the bip - keyshot wont open it (normally just black screens)
If i can open it, which sometimes it does i cant import anymore geometry with a full crash.

The issues seem to be totally random - if i try to open the parts over and over maybe 1 time it 20 it'll open. when its there its smooth and responsive.

WHAT IVE TRIED
I've passed on the parts to friends who are running KS4 and it opens with no problems whatsoever - they can import multiple files save and open (i cant open their saved files)
Tried saving out many file types - same problem
Tried with different parts - same problem
Some parts open OK but randomly
Multiple reinstall
New graphics card (nvidia geforce gtx760)
New ram (now 20gb)
Reinstalled windows 7 64bit
latest drives on everything
- currently ONLY have keyshot and firefox on my system.

I'm thinking it must be something up with my system - but i have no idea what....

I really need to get some things done this weekend and so far have spent 2 weeks trying to just open files

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Kind regards

Tom

tom123456789

ive just tried opeing a load of different sw files and they seem ok.

the files that have been failing are 100,000 triangles upward (300,000 max). i know thats not the smallest file on earth but surley my system should be able handle it?

TpwUK

tom123456789

Hi Martin,

Did this yesterday before installing KS.

It bought no errors.

Still stumped!

tom123456789

Just an update so far....

Ive reinstalled an older version of keyshot (4.0.74)

All the files work fine.

Unlike before I can import the files without a problem - when imported they close and open as you would expect.

So...its something to do with the later releases of keyshot, my machine and opening files above 100,000 triangles.

Its a massive shame as the later updates have been great - its a work around but not ideal.

Just incase any of you are like 'house' and get a buzz from problem solving my spec is:
Windows 7 home premium sp1
AMD Phenom ii x6 1090t
Nvidia geforce GTX 760
20gb of ram
400gb free on hard drive

have run tests on CPU/GPU and RAM all ok no errors

Cheers Guys

Tom (Slowely turning bald with all the hair pulling!)

Despot

tom123456789

I have been through all of this like you, but even worse... I was experiencing other weird behaviour that Luxion could not explain or fix... my system also had an AMD chipset and ATI Radeon Graphics adapter.

For instance, when a scene would decide to open (rarely)... or if I imported geometry, I would see a faint ghosted outline of the objects in the scene, no rezzing up, just an outline - then the only way to get KeyShot to actually start to render the scene would be to either disable and re-enable ground shadows or self shadows, then rezzing up would start.

I also could not open another scene if KS was rendering - I had to quit the app and re-launch

There were also other issues, actually too numerous to mention... but, I now have an Intel system and all those problems have just evaporated

Anyway, hope you get this sorted without resorting to new hardware like myself

Cheers

J

dunk

Sounds like hardware fault.

Have you examined your disk drive at all? Normally when I open a large file my disk percentage goes crazy for read.
most graphics cards will do the job, but cpu, ram, disk and the bus on your mother board will come into play. I think AMD have been known to cause issues in the past with KS, specifically phenoms. Sometimes when motherboards or disk drives are at the end of there life they can produce very specific faults or just go completely, its a guessing game. The only tool ive used to get any guidance is a temp monitor and normally when something is a little bit dodgy you can see a difference with temp. The newer version of KS that you are using might pull resources that the other does not. Have you had a look on the net to see what changes were made which might shine some light, if you reckon the previous version worked ok? btw did you change your ram entirely or just add more on? have you tried it with one stick at a time, ram can be a major factor regardless of how much you have. Have you got page disk write enabled when your ram is exceeded (not that it should do with 20). Are they dual channel? I think win 7 home premium is set to use 4gb on 32bit and 16 on 64bit
Dunk

TpwUK

Hi Tom, I can see one potential problem with your hardware specs, home premium even if it's 64bit can only address 16Gb, you need to pull a stick of RAM or go win7 Pro to use 20 Gbyte.

Martin