Resolution / Aspect Ratios: Feature Request / Bug Fix

Started by guest81576, January 22, 2015, 10:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest81576

Feature Request:

[on a Mac here if that makes any difference, with docking on]

Why are all the presets set to horizontal aspect ratios? We should be able to create / save our own presets. Especially since loading a new backplate can trigger a new rescaling / aspect ration regardless of what "locks" are in effect.

Why does the entire application frame change when I am inputting new values for resolution? Try setting your resolution to a vertical formal 480 x 640, the application jumps after first number entry... awful UX.Only the document size/aspect should change not the entire application window.

Much appreciated!

guest84672

You are making some good points here. We will look into it.

realwinghawk

I'm on a PC with the Zbrush to Keyshot Bridge, but I don't think it matters either.

I'm all for the vertical (portrait) aspect ratios. I design book covers and spent an hour looking for a way to render something out at 6x9 and 300dpi (or 1800x2700), before I realized I couldn't. I can wing it and use a 1:1 aspect ratio, but then I have to guess in terms of composition. Not really sure why this isn't an existing feature, but I would love to see it!

guest84672

All you need to do is set your realtime window to the proper aspect ratio at smaller resolution to set up your scene, and then render the final image in the desired resolution. So in your case, set your resolution in realtime to 600 by 900. Then render through the render dialog in 1,800 by 2,700.

I hope this helps.

rtyer

Repeating myself, there is another post by me in the render section.
I open the program go to settings uncheck aspect ration, uncheck resolution.
Now.
I try to enter numbers that would result in a portrait render (480x640).
Key shot will not let me enter numbers if I enter the 480 and then go to enter
the 640 the 480 changes ( to 682). If I go to change the 480 the other number is changed
by the program. The only way I can effect a portrait render is use the 1X1 preset.
I have over the past two days devoted about 6 hours to this problem.
Because of a job I am working on it has become a lot more important.
I have disabled adjust background ratio.
Please help, am starting to talk to myself.
Thank you

rtyer

Attn:  2urn did you finally find out what was wrong?

Hoonage

Hi guys,

I agree on having an option to save a vertical aspect ratio in the settings.
For example,
I can make 1200 x 300 ratio without any problem, but when I try to make a 300 x 1200 ratio box, the program ignores it and jumps to 1278 x 941 ratio preset.
I work at a design firm where our products are designed in a vertical format, it'll be nice to have an option to create and save a vertical render ratio box please.

Thank you

Sang.

Hoonage

I just figured it out, ratio aspect can't be updated when the program is running on a full screen mode, it needs to be a "free floating" mode for us to change the aspect / resolution ratio.  Once you update those numbers, lock it before you go back to full screen mode.

Tried this on few different projects and ended with a same results.