Main Menu

List for 2014

Started by jeffw, January 06, 2014, 06:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffw

Keyshot has come a long way since I started with Hypershot and I have appreciated most of the improvements. It is easier to use and flushed with many useful features. But, like children there is always that new toy to hope for so here is my list for the future.

1.   Replace model sets with a strictly graphic configuration tool (like Photoshop layer sets)
2.   Opacity control for all materials, Opacity animation control, Procedural opacity.
3.   Ability to show or not show reflections and shadows on individual parts.
4.   Edit materials directly from material list.
5.   Option to display materials as a name list, no icons.
6.   Cutaway tool
7.   Select and highlight parts without being in scene tab
8.   Fit to view (Like Photoshop with keyboard shortcut)

thomasteger

Thanks for the input, jeffw.

@5 - this exists - all you need to do is move the zoom slider all the way to the left and you will end up with the list view.
@8 - you can do this via the right mouse button menu.

We are looking at revamping model sets for v5.

@4 - We are not allowing this mainly for your own protection. However, we are getting more request for this. We will see what we can do.

@7 - We can do this however when you need this other then when you are actually working with the model itself?

Thomas

Speedster

I'd like to add my request for something that recently came up.  The ability to automatically link (on import) all identical parts.  For example, a chain that has  12 identical links.  Or an assembly that has like 50 or more identical bolts and nuts.  Now, all model parts come in unlinked.  I know you can scroll through the tree and link them up, or link all parts first and then selectively unlink others as needed, but with many hundreds of identical parts scattered throughout many subassemblies, it's very tedious and time consuming.
Bill G

KeyShot

The linking idea is something we can look into. I can see how it would help your workflow.

thomasteger

@Speedster: If the identical parts have the same material then they should be linked inside KeyShot. Are you saying that this is not the case?

Speedster

So how do I assign a "material" in SolidWorks?  It's never worked in the past, when I've assigned a SW material, with KS, but I'll try it again.  I use only colors for UV mapping.
Bill G

thomasteger

Speedster

Yep- if all the same color, they still come in unlinked.  You can't rename a "color" in SolidWorks.  But in the KS tree there is a long code for that color, but still not linked.
Bill G

thomasteger

That is strange. We will look into this. Just so I get this right:

- You have an assembly with the same part being used over and over again. Let's say it is called "cube".
- The all have the same color.
- When you transfer them using the plugin, the all come in unlinked, ie. unique material names.

Can you confirm?

Thomas

Rex

Hey Bill,

I just gave your SW linking issue a test and it's working fine for me. Are you using SW2014?

Rex

thomasteger

I also checked with development, and we think that there is something else that is going on. Otherwise it works as Rex stated.

Speedster

2013.  I'll test a bit more using a simple "chain" subassembly and the different import methods.
Bill G

Speedster

Jeff, I really apologize for hijacking your thread! 

I just did a series of tests, and for some reason all is fine. My "chain assembly" is properly linked, in that applying a material (gloss paint) to one link applied it to all instances.  This test used the SW importer, as well as D-and-D with New Importer unchecked (OK) and checked (missing surfaces and a LONG import).

On another larger sub-assembly all was fine as well. 

But when I first imported the massive top-assembly the other day, I had to go through and link up all of the hundreds of nuts, bolts, chains, etc. individually.

Not sure why, but not worth worrying about-  there's more important things in life!

Jeff, thanks for your patience and understanding, and I totally agree with your wish list!

Bill G

jeffw

Bill,

No problem. Posts are kind of like conversations, one thing leads to another.

I don't know anything about live linking. I don't think it works with SolidEdge, at least the manual does not mention it. Anyway my interest is more towards technical illustration tools. With cutaway and opacity and alternate rendering styles I think Keyshot would make great high end technical illustrations.

thomasteger

Live Linking works with SolidEdge ST6. There is a plugin that is provide with SE, or can be downloaded here: keyshot.com/plugins