Rose Ring: Old Render Vs New Render

Started by crazer, December 09, 2017, 04:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazer

Hi guys! I started a week ago to re-render some of my old jewelry model and i really wanna know what you think, if you prefer the old or the new one. (new first and old the second)
If there isn't problem, i will publish more of this (i start already but i wanna be sure that there is no problem to post this kind of things)
Thank you! :D

Will Gibbons

I think the old one looks more realistic. Sorry if you didn't want to hear that. I know that sometimes I re-work an image and I think it's better because I spent more time on it... sometimes the first one is better. The first image just doesn't look like a polished silver as much as the 2nd image does. That's just my opinion though. Let's see what some other people think.

crazer

Quote from: Will Gibbons on December 11, 2017, 08:38:18 AM
I think the old one looks more realistic. Sorry if you didn't want to hear that. I know that sometimes I re-work an image and I think it's better because I spent more time on it... sometimes the first one is better. The first image just doesn't look like a polished silver as much as the 2nd image does. That's just my opinion though. Let's see what some other people think.
Thank you Will. You're wrong: This is exactly what i want to hear becouse it's what you think! So, maybe, i need to make the silver more realistic like the old render image but with the background of the new render?

crazer

is this better?

Will Gibbons

i think so. This one takes strong points from the two and combines them. Nice job.

crazer

Quote from: Will Gibbons on December 12, 2017, 07:47:50 AM
i think so. This one takes strong points from the two and combines them. Nice job.
It's all thanks to you, thanks Will, a lot!

Magnus Skogsfjord

I don't know, I've been looking at these maybe 6-7 times now, and I can't really decide. On your new picture, it's a more smooth and better finish to the model, but the material seems maybe on the brink of being dull. On the old one however, the geometry seems to have these jagged lines in the reflection, while the material pops a bit more. I'm leaning towards liking the old look better as Will says, but at the same time I like the smoothness of the new render. But I really don't understand what causes this jaggedness. Would it be some tessellation issues? Or maybe harsh/soft lights?

crazer

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on December 13, 2017, 05:26:38 AM
I don't know, I've been looking at these maybe 6-7 times now, and I can't really decide. On your new picture, it's a more smooth and better finish to the model, but the material seems maybe on the brink of being dull. On the old one however, the geometry seems to have these jagged lines in the reflection, while the material pops a bit more. I'm leaning towards liking the old look better as Will says, but at the same time I like the smoothness of the new render. But I really don't understand what causes this jaggedness. Would it be some tessellation issues? Or maybe harsh/soft lights?
First of all thank you for your answer and for participating in this conversation! I think the problem could be the light and maybe a reflection too high that leads to have the ring reflected in the other 2

Josh3D

I always thought the jaggedness was intentional! At least, photos of that style of silver jewelry have subtle jagged edges here and there. On your first render, it may be a bit excessive though. Anything to help reduce that a tad would help. Right now, I'd choose the last with the brighter light and very slightly blurred environment.

crazer

Quote from: Josh Mings on December 15, 2017, 09:47:15 AM
I always thought the jaggedness was intentional! At least, photos of that style of silver jewelry have subtle jagged edges here and there. On your first render, it may be a bit excessive though. Anything to help reduce that a tad would help. Right now, I'd choose the last with the brighter light and very slightly blurred environment.
Really it was a lucky strike XD Ok! thank you! I'll try!