Main Menu

Coffee cup render

Started by CPHGNrenders, October 20, 2016, 10:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CPHGNrenders

I hope it's okay to share this. I'm an amateur and have ben modeling on/off for ten years. It's all learning by doing. Only help is youtube tutorials. But for the most, I like to mess arround the values myself. This cup took me two hours from start to finish, and it's my first serious render. Everything is done by me. What do you think?

Esben Oxholm

Hej Andreas.

I think it is a great start. Foam texture looks great.
The studio shot looks good. Nice and clean. The only thing I would point out here, maybe, is the composition with the two front cups having sides that are tangent to one another. An overlap or space between would be better. It is a minor thing.

For the shot with the wooden planks, I would alter the size of the planks. They look too small. Also I would play a bit with the lighting to make it more dynamic. Right know it looks kinda flat. Also, try to give a hint telling us if we are inside or outside. It's hard to tell right now.

Once again, I definitely think that you are in the right direction.
Best,

/edit: For another time I would also get rid of the logo-show that's happening right now. It kinda takes away attention from the artwork. Just my opinion :)

CPHGNrenders

Tak for de pæne ord, Esben! ;)

I dont understand what you mean with my studio render. Are the cups too close to each other? I tried to arrange the cups in many ways, but this is what i liked the best.

About the planks, i actually had made them bigger at first, but i didn't like it, the texture look too big in my opinion.

I know i have to learn how to set up a scene with lightning, so that i can better show the mood and if it's from indoor or outdoor. The cup is a outdoor render btw. But i can see it's hard to tell.

I like the foam very much too. It took a lot of time and effort to catch the realism all the way down to the small air bubbles.

Logos won't be on my next renders. I did them because i shared then in a group on Facebook, and to avoid questions on what program i used for this and that, i marked the renders with logos.

Thanks again for your criticism and kind words. Hope my next project will be better.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: CPHGNrenders on October 20, 2016, 02:54:37 PM
Tak for de pæne ord, Esben! ;)

I dont understand what you mean with my studio render. Are the cups too close to each other? I tried to arrange the cups in many ways, but this is what i liked the best.
Det var så lidt :)

Here's a sketch showing what I mean. I know I wasn't very clear.
The outlines of the cups (green lines) just exactly touch each other (red line), what is referred to as they are tangent to each other. This can cause the image loose perceived depth and look flat. A better option would be to have the outlines overlap a bit or make a clear space between them.

Makes sense?

Best,

CPHGNrenders

Yep, i understand. I'll do better next time. I have another project going on in SketchUp atm. I'll post it when done.

Maybe you can give me some advice then, on how to get a perfect render.

Finema

Hi,
The foam is a model or an mapped image ?

CPHGNrenders

It's a combination. It's a material added with specular and bumpmap.

Look at this. I just added another latteart. But the model is the same.

Finema

DMerz III

Awesome job! Thanks for sharing a bit of your workflow, love seeing all the different ways people achieve these great results!

CPHGNrenders