Motion blur Playtime in KS5

Started by feher, November 26, 2014, 09:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

feher

Just playing with some of the new features in KS5 some more. I really like the new motion blur feature.
The Dome/background is from SMcars.com
I did some work on both before using.
Enjoy
Tim

TpwUK

It's a great image Tim, but ... <gulp> ... Is it just me or do the door handles look too sharp, you have all that blur happening in the reflections, which is great, and on the road and wheels, but then the handles just look too sharp to me ... Am i right or is it just a personal thing ?

Martin

feher

Hi Martin,
I totally understand what you are saying. My thought process on this was this. Right or wrong this is what I was thinking.  I made the front out of focus and the back more out of focus as if you were panning with the camera a little bit when taking the shot. I thought one part of the car would be almost in focus so I made the center of the vehicle that area.
When I kept the door handles out of focus the image as a whole felt very soft. .
Have you downloaded the image to look at original size ? I ask because you will see the middle is still out of focus a little bit. Viewing it at this small size does make the handle look sharper then what they really are.
When it comes to blur I have found everyone has there own take on it. Very rarely will you find two people that agree on how it should be done.....lol 
I find that very funny and frustrating.
You will notice I try to stay away from blur shots......just sayin
Tim

TpwUK

Hi Tim - I am guilty as charged, i had not looked at the full size image (hangs head in shame) - I notice the blur more on the rear handle now, and that looks right ;) ... we to me it does.

It's been a long time since i did sports car type of shots with the old SLR camera, but if i panned and shot then everything gets blurred but predominately foreground and background - Flash helps to freeze the motion but there is still some blur unless you can pan at the same speed as the subject being photographed. But that was many years ago and I have not done any high speed photography with my digital camera so can not promise on being accurate.

If i was to do a standing shot, with no pan, then foreground and background have no blur other than DOF and the subject would be very blurred depending on shutter speed and grain of the film. I used to love them shots, very dramatic :)

But yeah, i also try to avoid motion shots for the same reasons you give ... Love Depth of Field work though :)

Martin

Speedster

This thread brings up some very interesting points.

But first, this is the first motion blur rendering I've seen that really works for me.  Most are extreme, where you get dizzy looking at it.  Usually the car is sharp and the scenery is crazy, or the other way around.

But the point I want to make is that KeyShot is forcing us to rethink photography.  And it's important to remember that KeyShot is not a render engine- it's a CAMERA.  Like none we've ever used in the past.

We can do in KeyShot what is almost impossible in film or digital photography.  We can tweak an image to capture exactly what we as artists, or our clients, may want to express.  Simply put, we can do a better job than with a physical camera.  Over 40+ years I have used almost every kind of camera, from a twin-lens to SLR to 4x5, 8x10 and now a D-90.  I took four years of photography in college, and have shot many thousands of product shots, as well as working with top-line professionals like Aaron Jones.  And frankly, you really can't take this kind of shot on film or digital. Almost, but only by luck.

So what?  This is way better! Because it tells the story!

But we have a great responsibility to not abuse or over-use our tools.  I see this also in CAD design, and have published on this in the past- just because we have the tools does not mean we have to use them.  All good design (and rendering) is the result of careful workmanship combined with restraint.  A pro knows when to stop.

So...  I LOVE this image!  It works!

Bill G

TpwUK

feher

Bill,
Thank you my friend. Knowing when to stop is a great point ! I had that issue when I would paint in watercolor. I always worked it to long and all my colors would go muddy....rrrrrr
Tim

edwardo

ooof, its all getting a bit heavy and philisophicalerious for me. I like sausages  :)

Nice image btw

Ed

Speedster

QuoteI like sausages
Just don't ask how they're made!  Actually, a well rendered (cooked?) brat would be nice right now!
Bill G

feher

Quote from: edwardo on November 27, 2014, 05:58:22 AM
ooof, its all getting a bit heavy and philisophicalerious for me. I like sausages  :)

Nice image btw

Ed

OMG.....I busted a gut on this one. Thanks for the laugh.
Tim