Simulate tea

Started by TheStew, April 19, 2015, 02:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStew

Hello everyone,

I would like to make a similar render as this one:

and this one:

I've got my glass, teabag and fluid.. But I don't know how to approach the smoke (correct word?). Could someone recommend a technique or a tutorial? I'm also having problems trying to search my problem on google since I don't know what effect this is.

Maybe this is something to do afterwards in photoshop?

Thanks in advance!

edwardo

Sorry, I can't answer your question. You'll need to look into Maya or cinema 4D or something (or real flow or similar), and see what is possible to import to to keyshot as an FBX.

However, I like the shark fin tea diffuser  :)

PhilippeV8

Yeah it looks cool :)

Looks metal tho so it got me puzzeled how it floats ...  ;D

Esben Oxholm

If it is for still renderings I would probably apply it post in Photoshop using some sort of smoke/steam brush. Something like this: http://www.youthedesigner.com/freebies/33-sets-of-free-smoke-photoshop-brushes/

Maybe you  even can find a brush that's actually made from colored liquid being put into clear water. I'm not sure.

Give the smoke a try. Should be doable :)

Speedster

I agree with Esben- post is probably easiest and would give the greatest control.  I use "Ron's Brushes" (there are many sets) available from DAZ, at http://www.daz3d.com/rons-detail-smoke.  All are exceptional and inexpensive.

The big challenge for you is to carefully separate the "tea" from the "glass", and to create beautiful caustics.  Don't forget to add in a ground plane to reflect off of.  And be sure there is a tiny gap between the tea solid and the glass solid, this being done in CAD.

Bill G

Despot

If you want to achieve the smoke effect, you'll need to do this in post using particles and Krakatoa...

Good luck, you'll need it... ;)

J

andy.engelkemier

There are many ways to accomplish something like this. But for a still frame, is it Very unlikely you'll want to set up a simulation. But that is also not renderable in keyshot anyway. You'd have to render a volume, which requires different software. You wouldn't need to go crazy getting krakatoa though. You could use something slightly more affordable, like Particular, and just composite them together.
But if you are looking for an animation and are open to not using keyshot, you could go with real flow, glue3d, krakatoa, and the list goes on.

But I'm with most of the people here. For a still frame, paint it. Find a bunch of smoke images that look like they work, mask and fiddle with them until they are the shape you're looking for, then put it together.
Or you could, you know...make some tea. Take a picture. And for goodness sake, don't make the same mistake this person did. They spent all their time on the cool liquid effect, and forgot to render the liquid itself in a realistic way. It's perfectly flat, the liquid has perfectly even color but should appear more near thinner parts. The glass model is obviously fake, the lighting is flat grey in an even dome. The shadow is Way too dark, no caustics. Oh, and no refraction for the water?
If you want something to aspire to, use something more like this:

The same difficulties exist, but that's what it Should look like. If you pick apart the differences and you address those in Your rendering, you'll have something great.