The first tries with interior renderings [Keyshot 10 + Blender + Photoshop]

Started by Kuba Grabarczyk, March 26, 2021, 02:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuba Grabarczyk

Hello everyone,

Although I prepare mainly industrial animations or product renderings, one of my good customers asked me for making some interior renders as they plan to redecorate the kitchen in their office. "You only live once" I thought, and agreed for preparing that, please see the final results below:

All the models have been done by myself in Blender 2.92 except the IKEA table and the wardrobe which I got online. Rendered in Keyshot interior mode, with denoising 0.1 and 0.15 fireflyfilter with 512 samples on CPU. The walls and floor are having Poliigon textures applied to material via Material Graph. After all I did some post processing with Photoshop using Camera Raw Filter. The third shot was done with regular "Basic" lighting mode.

Some observations from this small project:
- real world dimensions are essential to get good results in interior mode
- interior mode works very slowly even on pretty good machine but this is as it should be (I use AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32 cores 64 threads and RTX 2070 8GB)
- for no reason I observed much slower performance at GPU in interior mode and was forced to render at CPU
- for no reason GPU mode was constantly being switched back to the CPU mode in the real-time view
- firefly filter is pure gold, same with denoiser!!!
- the hardest part turned out to be walls and getting rid of weird "stains" on them

Eventually, I am quite satisfied with the results. Starting from scratch it took me 2 full working days. Any comments or questions are very appreciated :)

Best regards,
Kuba Grabarczyk

Josh3D

Hi Kuba, great opportunity to take on an interior project. I think you've done a great job. Curious about those issues you mentioned though. Did you happen to contact support about any of them?

Kuba Grabarczyk

Thanks Josh, nice to see any answer here. I have not contacted support, honestly I needed just to proceed next projects, no time for wondering about already overcome problems :)

KristofDeHulsters

Job well done for a first attempt! I wonder if you can send me the package file so I can see if my computer does the same thing with switching to CPU and if my GPU renders faster than the CPU. A couple of pointers to improve on that I can see immediately:
- Large surfaces should have a lot of imperfections for them to look realistic. Using bump noise textures could help a lot.
- I tend to look at real interior photo's for details of the environment itself. You should look for small details like wires, fire detectors, sprinklers, ... this will improve the realism too.
- Add small blends to the geometry (this can be done in Keyshot) to not have an edge that looks super sharp.