Why won't obj export materials?

Started by guest83783, April 26, 2017, 04:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest83783

I'm really surprised and disappointed that all the hard work we put into making lovely models for on screen can't be exported as obj with materials...

Why is that?

I'm guessing that many of us straddle two or three bits of software to get things done but it's shocking how limited some things are.

Please can you add material export or some kind of export for colour 3D printing?

Cheers

Andy

Will Gibbons

Which program are you trying to bring the OBJ into and which version of KeyShot are you running. I've successfully modeled in Fusion 360 (nurbs), imported into KeyShot using direct import (to tessellate the model and colors were retained), then exported from KeyShot as OBJ and imported into MODO and the OBJ still had materials applied. The materials were technically 'F360' materials as I didn't apply anything in KS, but I have seen KeyShot export OBJ with materials applied.

I think it depends on your workflow.

guest83783

Try importing a blank model and then applying a texture and then exporting it as an obj.  I didn't work for me.

I mostly work with Rhino which is a bit clunky in comparison when it comes to applying textures etc.

What I've got to do is UV Map in Rhino, apply decals and then bake them before exporting to obj in order to get something for 3D printing.

I think you're right, it's the workflow - I've worked out how to get what I need I was hoping that it could all be done in Keyshot rather than having to straddle two bits of software.

Cheers

Andy

Will Gibbons

Quote from: 2DCube on April 26, 2017, 06:14:04 AM
Try importing a blank model and then applying a texture and then exporting it as an obj.  I didn't work for me.

I mostly work with Rhino which is a bit clunky in comparison when it comes to applying textures etc.

What I've got to do is UV Map in Rhino, apply decals and then bake them before exporting to obj in order to get something for 3D printing.

I think you're right, it's the workflow - I've worked out how to get what I need I was hoping that it could all be done in Keyshot rather than having to straddle two bits of software.

Cheers

Andy

I know for a fact that applying a texture in KS, then exporting won't retain that texture unfortunately. I just wanted to add in that the blanket statement that OBJ export from KS can't include colors/materials isn't entirely accurate.

You're not the only person who wishes this could all be done in KS. Maybe this is something we can address in the future. I'm glad you have found something that works in the meantime.

guest84672

We support binary STL export which will bake colors and textures (I believe) for 3D Printing. On Win we all support the ZPR (3D Print, not Z-Brush) format.

guest83783

Quote from: Will Gibbons on April 26, 2017, 06:16:41 AM
Quote from: 2DCube on April 26, 2017, 06:14:04 AM

As you say, once it's baked and imported it can be exported in the same manner with full colour.

Cheers

Andy

I know for a fact that applying a texture in KS, then exporting won't retain that texture unfortunately. I just wanted to add in that the blanket statement that OBJ export from KS can't include colors/materials isn't entirely accurate.

You're not the only person who wishes this could all be done in KS. Maybe this is something we can address in the future. I'm glad you have found something that works in the meantime.