KeyShot 5 doesn't start because of previous KS3 and KS4 licenses

Started by czigleczkiattila, October 28, 2015, 06:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

czigleczkiattila

Hi,

I'm a customer support engineer of Enterprise Group (reseller of Solid Edge) and one of our customers has an issue with KeyShot 5. A window pops up at each launch of the software (launch from Solid Edge) telling the customer, that he cannot use KeyShot 5 with a KeyShot 3 or 4 license. He previously used a KeyShot 4 trial license with Solid Edge ST6, then he installed ST7 and so did KeyShot 5. Maybe the old license has stuck into somewhere and can't be deleted? He deleted KeyShot 4 before the installation of Solid Edge ST7. He already cleared up the registry of previous Luxion folders and activated KeyShot 5 as the active version. He also reinstalled KeyShot 5 several times, but it didn't help. The customer has a Solid Edge Classic license which allows the user to use KeyShot 5 with Solid Edge. The problem still exists, what else can be done to eliminate it?

I attached a picture of the pop-up window.

Big thanks for the answers in advance!

Chad Holton

Hello,

Try this:

- navigate to the KeyShot 5 resource folder
- locate the license file (keyshot5.lic)
- move it to the recycle bin
- try launching KeyShot again

Let us know how it goes.

Chad

czigleczkiattila

Hi Chad,

Thanks for your response.

I can't seem to find any keyshot5.lic license file in the KeyShot5 resource folder (picture attached). Same thing on the customer's pc. Can this be because of from Solid Edge ST7, KeyShot 5 is included in the 3D designing software (the first thing installed is KS5 after Solid Edge installation is launched, and no license file is required from the user)?

Best regards,
Attila

Chad Holton

Thanks for trying, Attila. Right, no license file is required for this type of setup. The resource folder is usually in "My Documents" or similar area. I'm thinking that there may be an older license file there giving you the hassle.

Chad

czigleczkiattila

Yeah probably the license file from the previous version (KS4) has stuck somewhere in. Meanwhile, I found a keyshot5 file in "My Documents - KeyShot 5 folder", with an extension of xml. Is this what you mentioned? Is there any way to find and delete the previous license file or should it be in the same folder (My Documents)?

Thank you!

Attila

Chad Holton

Leave the XML file alone for now. You may have multiple resource folders. Try this:

- Start KeyShot through SE (using demo mode option)
- Go to Edit>Preferences>Folders and take note of the location it is using
- Navigate to this location and check for the license file (if different from the path you just checked)

Let me know what you find out.

Chad