Depth of Field: Select "Point of Focus" button not working

Started by DMerz III, January 15, 2016, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

I remember having this problem during the KS6 Beta test on a few files. Now experiencing it again. Turned on Depth of Field, hit the Select Point of Focus button, click around, does not change Focus Distance. I am positive I have the tool selected because I have the little box that say "Click to Select the depth of field focus point" : DONE. But it does nothing. Have to manually figure out focus point.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Esben Oxholm

I encounter the same issue once in a while.
When it happens I can set the focus by double-clicking instead of a single click. Besides setting the point of focus, the double-click takes me to the material tab, though...

DMerz III

Haha yeah, can't figure it out, it only does it on some of my files too. Thanks for letting me know it's not just me! BTW, I checked out your stuff, looks amazing, huge fan of that animation you did of the lamp.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: dmerziii on January 18, 2016, 04:43:43 PM
Haha yeah, can't figure it out, it only does it on some of my files too. Thanks for letting me know it's not just me! BTW, I checked out your stuff, looks amazing, huge fan of that animation you did of the lamp.

The same here. I actually thought they got rid of the issue during the beta-phase but sometimes it still happens.

Thanks a lot, dmerziii. If you like that animation, you can look forward to an animation of one Nacho's rings that I'm currently working on :)

DetroitVinylRob

So I'm new here.

Hello,

Here is what I'm running: I have KeyShot 6.1PRO Floating Enterprise License on Windows 7 w/Network Rendering 64 bit.

Here is what I'm trying to do: When creating viewsets and taking advantage of lens effects, depth of field, point of focus. I orient my product view in realtime rendering window, create a new viewset in camera and enter name, select depth of field box, select point of focus, pick my image in the realtime rendering window with MB1, visually verify KS is giving me what I want, then select save current camera and lock down the camera.

Here is my problem: When I move from this camera to another and set a point of focus in another camera, then return to a previous camera, I find that it has lost its point of focus and the image is blurred. This also causes miss steps when I opt to send many camera viewsets to queue and create still images by network rendering.

Am I doing something wrong here? Or does KeyShot have an issue? Any advise would be appreciated.

guest84672

Could be that you didn't explicitly exit the "pick focal point" dialog. The dialog goes away if you hit save, but it is still open behind the scenes. We addressed this in KeyShot 6.2.

bdesign

Another quirk I have noticed is that whenever clicking on the focus point, it will move the camera by an fractional amount indiscernible to the eye, since the camera must be unlocked in order to set the focus point. I didn't notice this at first, but if you click on Edit immediately after setting the focus point, you will see that it always says "Undo: Move Camera" as the last action (at least it does for me), which tells me that the camera has shifted ever so slightly by clicking in the viewport. So I always make sure to undo this action and re-lock the camera. The focus point remains, since setting it was the previous action. It would be nice to be able to set the focus point while keeping the camera locked.

Eric

guest84672

I'm on a Mac using the Magic Mouse, and can select the focal point without shifting the camera.

DetroitVinylRob

Quote from: thomasteger on June 03, 2016, 02:02:54 PM
Could be that you didn't explicitly exit the "pick focal point" dialog. The dialog goes away if you hit save, but it is still open behind the scenes. We addressed this in KeyShot 6.2.
Is this what you mean by explicitly exiting the dialog? After selecting the "select point of focus" button, selecting a point I care to focus on with MB1 in the image, I have selected "done" in the "click to select the depth of field focus point" pop-up window, select save camera icon, and then lock down the effected camera, and yet it doesn't seem to save the point of focus.

I might add that after I have made my adjustments and lock down the camera, the entire camera options block grays out to show I am no longer editing.

DetroitVinylRob