Export Keyshot camera to external 3d program

Started by Wonderboy75, December 15, 2016, 04:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonderboy75

Hi! Is it possible to export the camera in Keyshot to another program like 3dsmax.
I tried obj export, but it doesn't include the camera, only geometry.

The keyshot plugin for max seems to be only export, one way, but no import. In order to have true collaboration between keyshot and 3dsmax it would be awsome to be able to import keyshot bip files back into 3dsmax.

guest84672

INNEO_MWo

ahm - it's not a true workaround and I didn't tested it jet - but - the position of each camera is displayed in camera tab and with  this info, your able to re-create same position and camera setting in any other program. As well with the position and view direction vector you can place a dummy body like a cone or pyramid in your scene. The geometry window would display body and camera. So now you should be able to export your KeyShot scene as stl or obj for the other programs (if they can use this body position for cameras)

This is not a true solution but the first step.

cheers

Marco

Wonderboy75

Thanks, I was able to recreate the cameras position by copying the absolute values from keyshot to my camera in 3dsmax (swapping z&y), however I  have trouble understanding how to interpret the direction and up values. In 3dsmax I would have either a target position (target camera), or a rotation value for the camera (free camera).

I was able to do a workaround by rotating the camera until it aproximately matched the keyshot rendering i added as a background in max, but I would still like to know how to make it exactly right.

INNEO_MWo

In KeyShot on camera tab of the project window, you can switch between absolute polar option. The absolut mode will bring the position in x y z of a camera and tho polar option will recalculate the view vector on azimuth and polar angles. So these should be able to reproduce the view direction.
Maybe you can place small cubes (one for the position of the camera and a duplicate one in relative transformation to the view angles). These cubes can be defined in a separated scene set and export as obj?!
So you'll get the camera position and the "look at body".

If this description is not clear. I can post some screenshots.

Which UI language do you use?