Car reflections in glass on backplate

Started by Sandy, November 17, 2017, 04:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Hope this is the right place for this. I have backplates that show a glass wall and I need my car model to reflect in the glass on the backplates. Any ideas on how to pull this off. I've tried a plane with glass material and a chrome material but they don't look very accurate. And not sure the best way to get accurate placement of the plane as well.

Heres the HDR and plates I'm using. http://hdrmaps.com/hdre/urban/sports-hall-in-the-shadow

You can see from the sample renders on the site that the car should be reflected in the glass.

TGS808

Quote from: Sandy on November 17, 2017, 04:45:05 PMYou can see from the sample renders on the site that the car should be reflected in the glass.

I only see one sample on that page that features a rendered model (the blue car) and it's not reflected in the glass wall.

designgestalt

hello Sandy,

I think you are on a good way !
I would insert a plane (or several planes as in your image) and try out some different materials.
It might take a while to place the planes correctly.
you just have to adjust the material to your needs.
I attached two different materials: Glass and cloudy plastic and fiddled around with it for a while.
in order to have more control over the transparency of the material I added a color to number node on the transparency of the cloudy plastic. I am not sure how elegant this method is, but it gives me the control I need!
I have to add, that adding a texture to the transparency of an anyway transparent material does crank up the rendertimes quite a bit normally, although the cloudy plastic seem to behave quite good in this case!
hope this helped!
cheers
designgestalt

KeyShot

You could try the ground material on a plane in front of the backplate. It will show the backplate and still allow you to add a reflection.

INNEO_MWo

The solution in the previous post is correct. It is a lil bit tricky to find the right angles - but it works.
The reflection can be tuned with the refraction index (strength) bump and roughness (diffuse) and opacity.
For details see attached file. (The same can be done in KeyShot 6)

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

Will Gibbons

Quote from: MWo on November 19, 2017, 04:57:10 AM
The solution in the previous post is correct. It is a lil bit tricky to find the right angles - but it works.
The reflection can be tuned with the refraction index (strength) bump and roughness (diffuse) and opacity.
For details see attached file. (The same can be done in KeyShot 6)

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

Nice example!

Sandy

Hi Guys thanks for the help. Ill give both examples a try seems like they will both work well.