Copy location/orientation

Started by RRIS, July 18, 2018, 12:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRIS

I'm currently working on a scene with multiple object variations in different model-sets that I need to orient into photography backgrounds. I'm not sure if I'm missing something in my workflow, but I'm really aching for an option where I can simply copy the x,y,z location and rotations from an object version in one model-set and can copy it onto another product version in another model-set.
Now I have to go back and forth between model sets, writing down coordinates and manually copy them over to the other model-sets.

mattjgerard

Do you not have the "Copy Position"  button in the Position tab under the scene tree? Now, granted its there, and it works.

Sometimes.

Coordinate systems are a very fragile and finicky thing, I've found, and sometimes they just don't jive the way we think they should. If there is anything KS could improve on in general its the handling of the scaling and coordinate system.

This being said, there are no coordinates attached to the "Model Set", but the objects within it, so you would be best off grouping everyhting in the model set into a group and copying/pasting that position data. Now the way grouping works, is that the objects within that group could be way off on their coordinates inside the group, and while the Top level groups coordinates display 0,0,0- the objects inside can be offset on their own coordinates.

I've gotten around this by preplanning and starting from the beginning with a Null Object, like a cube or sphere that is centered and zero'd out to 0,0,0 so that I know no matter where my imported objects land, that sphere is at world zero. That's your reference. In some cad models I've had the model imported in that says 0,0,0 but its way the heck off in outer space somewhere. KS can't reset the objects coordinate centers, but you can pick and choose what it uses. Then you can use the move tool, and select that sphere as the center, and the model should shift to the 0,0,0 position when you hit the Reset button. 

In short, if the models you are importing don't have zero'd out coordinates, you might be in for a tough time.  If your models are centered, then the copy/paste position button between groups in different model sets should work.

RRIS

Egg on face, it's there and it looks like I completely overlooked it.

Thanks for the extra tip though, always helps to be extra thorough!

mattjgerard

Whew. I love it when someone points that easy stuff out to me. This is one of those that could have been what I deal with on a daily basis, which is no single cad designer uses the same coordinates for centering their model at my company. The best I can hope for is that the same one did the whole series of products I'm working on.

Glad you got it sorted!