Check for updates - downloads the appropriate version

Started by theAVator, December 13, 2017, 09:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theAVator

As long as I have been using it (from KS5 pro to KS6 pro floating to KS7 Enterprise) the check for updates prompt has never work correctly. It correctly prompts that there is an update, but it never downloads the correct file or the file it downloads is corrupt, etc. In KS5 the file could never be installed - always failed. In KS6 floating, the download was never a floating license installer - I always had to get a different direct link from support because the floating license update download wasn't even available on the website. KS7 Enterprise it downloads a 1k file that fails installing anything and there's no indication that its for an enterprise installation. Just seems like too many special cases to worry about when updating. The updater should just work, in all cases for all license types.

My proposal would be to have the updater check your version, check if there's a new version, then check your type of installation(license type), then provide the correct download for your license type. Since currently an update is applied globally across all license types (i.e. a 7.1.51 Pro, 7.1.51 floating, 7.1.51 enterprise) managing where it grabs the download from should be relatively easy to roll out.

INNEO_MWo

Good news for KS7 - there is only one install package for locked and floating licenses.
I just look into the download section and use the full installer, normally.