Keyshot Opens Off Screen

Started by multitech, June 24, 2015, 06:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

multitech

Hi Guys,

Just installed KS 5.3 Pro Floating on two computers and I noticed the program often opens with the right side of the window off my screen on both computers.  I have an Nvidia Quadro on one computer and a AMD Firepro on the other.  It seems to happen after I exit with KS maximized.  It will open at the same size and position if not maximized.

Windows 7 Pro 64, Intel i7 PC.
Keyshot 5.3.6 Floating.
Steps taken to reproduce: Two different computers with two different graphics cards.

Mike   8)

jhiker

Quote from: multitech on June 24, 2015, 06:29:23 AM
It seems to happen after I exit with KS maximized.  It will open at the same size and position if not maximized.

Mike   8)

Mine does exactly that too - very annoying!
I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

andy.engelkemier

I'm not sure I've had that, HOWEVER, it does seem to have undersireable results after having saved files with the software maximized.
One issue I notice is that the resolution changes when you change the window size (this is Never desired for us here. Never.) Since the window is riddled with toolbars, I don't want the entire window to control the aspect ratio of the actual render. You should be able to control that separately. It'd be nice to have handles for that, but it shouldn't be the whole window.
So I think the issue stems from that. I think they are trying to avoid messing up the resolution, but ours seems to always mess up. Either the aspect ratio gets messed up, if the file isn't locked, or the resolution gets changed. So I have to look up previous renders to find out the dimensions used. I try and always get people to keep raw files (hopefully not in tiff since they are huge) because of this. Then do what you want with the psd.

Anyway, I'm with you guys. Something seems weird here. I hope it's fixed in 6, although, it may be some time before we purchase that. I haven't heard when it comes out, or what the purchase options are.

edwardo

This has happened to me (osx) and is sort of driving me mad, but I'v just learned to work around it. I figured the only way to get to the bottom of my project window is to find a higher res monitor and drag the window over then reduce its size and drag it back.

andy.engelkemier

On windows, when that happens, there's a good cheat. And you can try it out to see what happens even if your window is on screen. I've had to do this when I switch from dual monitor to single on occasion. The window is actually still on the second monitor, which isn't hooked up.

So, the easiest shortcut on windows is Win+Shift+ any arrow key. Your whole window moves to the next window. If you have none, then it just does nothing. If you get rid of the shift, then it just snaps to left, middle, right, etc.
Sorry, I'm no help with a mac. I can use them, but not proficiently because I don't know many "tips and tricks"

theAVator

I've noticed something along similar lines.
I run dual monitors and when I start KeyShot it always starts up non-maximized and in whichever monitor my cursor is in. It seems to follow my cursor, I'm not sure if it centers over my cursor or aligns the window to it some other way, but in most cases also spills off the desktop.

I noticed it in both 5 and 6 beta.