Main Menu

SciFi Grenade

Started by cjwidd, September 26, 2017, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjwidd

This is a scifi grenade I modeled based on a concept by Zach Oldenkamp. This is a first pass render that I would like to improve based on feedback from the community. I've attached two images: the base render and a version with my notes on it.

My first constraint is that the render contain a minimalist backplate, so that the focus is on the model itself. To this end, I'm not opposed to substituting a solid color (or gradient) background with a vignette, but I think a ground plane (or ramp, in this case), allows for more interesting reflections and shadows. Second, my goal is to do as little adjustment in Photoshop as possible. I'm not opposed to enhancing the render in Photoshop, but I want to see how far I can go in Keyshot alone.

I welcome all your suggestions and feedback and hope to learn more from the expert community that resides here. Thank you!

NM-92

Hi, nice model ! I'll try to help you with some things i'd modify/enhance in this scene. I'll try to be clear enough and by any means take this as harsh criticism.

• Ground plane ? Yes, definitely, it'll help with the reflections, specially from the lights in the lower part of the grenade. Btw i think you'll have to turn Global Illumination in the illumination settings in order to make the lights affect the ground plane.

• Roughness / surface noise / imperfections ? I'd go for it but be sure that if you go that way, all your model must be consistent with the appearance you're looking for. A worn out orange piece in the middle of a perfectly new grenade won't be logical at all and will be disturbing the viewer, so.... Choose one style or the other, but never mix both.

• Label. Scaling and position don't seem right. I saw the original artwork and it's barely visible so you can have a bit more freedom here to play with different fonts / colours / size. After viewing tons of sci fi props, i came to learn that small labels and indicators like, "Danger" - "This side towards the enemy" - Anything, from serial numbers to random codes help with the credibility of your image.

• Regarding the edgewear, you can make two separate renders and make it appear where you want in Photoshop. This way you can break that uniformity a little bit.

I think i covered pretty much all i wanted to say. Please let me know if i wasn't clear. And of course, don't take it wrong ! That's what i'd do if i were working with this model. Cheers, and great job so far !

cjwidd

Not at all, I prefer an objective appraisal so I can merge these different opinions with my own and improve the render. Different stylistic choices and intentions are going to influence the final result, but hopefully some other voices will chime in and I can take those suggestions into consideration before doing another pass.