Some material library changes

Started by jeffw, May 16, 2011, 01:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffw

Some things I would like to see regarding materials.

Make the material library open to last used library. This would be a convenience if like me you mostly use your own custom library.

Allow the option to show the Materials list by name only, no icons. If thumbnails are used make it more obvious which name goes with
which icon. Does the thumbnail go with the name or the one above it? I have attached on possibility for this.

If you drag and drop on a part in the parts list it changes the name to the new material. If you drag and drop a new
material onto the model part it does not change that part name on the parts list. It would be nice to have it work both ways.

Add the ability to overwrite an existing material in the library when changes are made to that material on a part. I usually
double click on the part and make my changes there so I can see what happens right away. Currently after this material is
altered it will not let you save that name as the same name in the library, you save it out as a new material name then
delete old one and rename new one to the old one if you want to keep the same name

PhilippeV8

Also, how come I can export a material, but it does not pack the textures (bumpmaps, lables, etc) with it ?

guest84672

We are reworking the material library in its entirety for version 3.

You can edit your material in the library.

Also, if you copy the material from the library and "link" it when you apply it, then any change you make to that material will update the material in the library as well.

Speedster

QuoteWe are reworking the material library in its entirety for version 3.

Sure hope it includes a wide range of plastics and accurate brushed and machined metals!

Bill G

guest84672

Got anything you want to share, Bill?