Network rendering introduces even more artifacts!

Started by eobet, February 21, 2017, 02:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eobet

Look at these two images side by side. The white dots are apparently intrinsic to Keyshot and I have to live with them, but now there's banding too?

Both images are done with full simulation, maximum samples.

Also, when I render a region locally to cover this up, the following happens when I paste it onto the old render, which I don't think I have to mark with a pen:

Now, this could easily be edited out, but again, more manual work for an app which is supposed to be "easy". But also, look at this difference:

The left is the network render result, and the right is my local region re-render. Again, same settings! What the heck!?

EDIT: Ok, so the forum times out when I try to upload even a small jpg...

DriesV

A few questions:

• How many samples are you using for 'Maximum Samples'?
  • What is the intensity of those lights? Are they Area Lights? What Power setting are you using (amount of Watt, Lumen, Lux)?
  • Do you have a need for either Interior Mode or Caustics? If not, try rendering again with the 'Product' Lighting Preset.
  • Can you share the scene? Please send via https://keyshot.wetransfer.com/ to dries@luxion.com
Let's try to fix these issues. :)

Dries

eobet

256 samples is as far as the slider goes for me.

The intensity is 3000 lumen and they are area lights. Any less and we can't get them to light upp the hull of the ship.

Caustics can be turned off, but interior mode produces better results, especially for the cabin interior, which is also lit behind grey glass.

I cannot share the scene.

DriesV

Thank you for the info.

Quote from: eobet on February 21, 2017, 10:58:26 PM
256 samples is as far as the slider goes for me.
A higher samples count will help with the banding you are experiencing.
You can always manually enter a higher value than what the slider range allows. This is true for most sliders in KeyShot.

The intensity is 3000 lumen and they are area lights. Any less and we can't get them to light upp the hull of the ship.
Seems reasonable. I guess that is similar to the light output of the actual luminaire?
If you render to a 32-bit format (exr, tiff 32 bit and psd 32 bit) you can always use 'HDR Toning' in Photshop to avoid those harsh highlights.

Caustics can be turned off, but interior mode produces better results, especially for the cabin interior, which is also lit behind grey glass.
That makes sense.

I cannot share the scene.
That's a pity. I would have loved to see how this scene could be optimized and analyzed further.

Dries

DriesV

Potential banding issues, especially when using 'lower' samples values, with Interior Mode in Network Rendering will be addressed in KeyShot 7 as well.

Dries