Easiest way to setup a camera for using livelight + hdr light studio?

Started by mmmster3d, October 29, 2012, 10:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmmster3d

So this confuses me..
I would love to use livelight but it doesn't read the cameras from Keyshot.  I would only use livelight if the cameras were exactly the same, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose.

I guess you have to setup a camera in 3dsmax or something and that be your camera for keyshot and livelight as well.
what are you guys doing in terms of workflow to make this easier?  I always setup my camera in keyshot and would love to continue to do so, I'm not very confident in 3dsmax.  I can strip the camera out of BIP in a text editor but I don't know what I could paste that into for livelight to read it.

Curious on what you guys are doing about this.

Speedster

Here's how I do it.  It's a little awkward, but I know that HDR Light Studio and KeyShot are working on this.  You have to import your model into Live Light as an .obj (or Collada), with the .bip also open.  You then visually align both models.  There is a drop down menu in Live Light that allows you to "link" the LL with KS.  Then, all work together.   

There's a KeyShot Workflow video on  http://www.hdrlightstudio.com/learning.htm that illustrates the process. 

The rub is that not all of us have the capability to create an .obj or Collada file from our native CAD.  I use SimLab Composer for the conversion, but SimLab Animator also works the same.

It would be fantastic if you could drag the open .bip directly into LiveLight with auto-link!

Bill G

Ed

"... you then visually align both models. "

That's the part that is keeping me from upgrading HDRLS.  It took me so long to manually align my .obj model that it negated any time saving in using Live Light.

I hope they will be able to sync the cameras in the future - then I'll take another look.  It's a great concept.

Ed

Speedster

I've found that I very rarely have to have absolute "perfect" alignment, since we're dealing with light, falloff, etc.  Maybe on a very tight view of a watch mechanism or something similar, but so far I can align quite accurately by eye. 
Bill G