Shadow without a visible geometrie

Started by harrypol, July 17, 2018, 08:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrypol

I try to let fall a light and shadow to an objekt from the environment HDRI lighting.

- Is it possible to let create shadow on an object of HDRI lighting?
- is it possible let fall shadow from an invisible geometrie to the object?

INNEO_MWo

The shadow that is presented in a HDRI environment is very difficult to "fall" onto a geometry/part. It depends on what it looks like.

You can place geometry in your scene and apply the ground material to it.
For details see the attached file.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Marco

harrypol

Thank you for this info.
Unfortunately it work on an diffuse material, but not on my needed metal (Aluminium anodized)

Are there further settings on material necessary or possible to get a similar result for the shadow?

INNEO_MWo

There is a solution using a hidden (beta) feature called backside mask. But I have to build an example.
If I got the time, I will post it.

Cheers
Marco

INNEO_MWo

So here's the solution. ! Kudos to Eric (bdesign) who showed impressive examples of using the backside mask !!!

I used the backside mask to the opacity channel of the diffuse plane that causes the shadow on nearly any material.
The previous example doesn't work very well on metal when the shadow of the ground material is set to white. Change it to black, and you'll see the shadow.
But working with objects using the ground material has its limitations.

So for this case, I used the diffuse material and the backside mask. This mask is an experimental feature. The experimental features can be activated in KS 6 within the settings. And in KS7 you'll have to change the KS7settings.xml -> change the parameter: experimental_features bool="true"/>

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

Finema

Hi
Perhaps you can use Emissive material ?

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: Finema on July 19, 2018, 02:10:08 AM
Hi
Perhaps you can use Emissive material ?

Emissiv works as well - that's true!
And you can control the color and the intensity of the "shadow".

Thanks for this example.

Cheers
Marco