KS5.1 Running Slow and Creating Huge Files

Started by NormanHadley, December 10, 2014, 12:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NormanHadley

Hi. I've recently upgraded from a combo of Creo Elements/Pro with KS5.0 to Creo Parametric 2.0 and KS5.1.

I've had a lot of problems since and file size is playing a major role. The same geometry that created a 950MB BIP is now making a 26GB BIP. This makes the data completely unworkable - transfer is ½hour, saving takes a similar time. It is *of course* major deadline time so this is less than helpful.

Please can someone suggest tweaks I can do to speed up and shrink down my data? I've tried transfer via the plug-in and via direct opening. Both are equally slow. I've tried unchecking "NURBS"and increasing the tessellation constant. Any other ideas?

TpwUK

I don't know Creo, does it offer an export mesh option such as OBJ etc ?

Martin

Chad Holton

Hi Norman,

Try bringing your tessellation down to about .001 (or 0) and use NURBS. This will make the assembly a much smaller file size and by using NURBS you will not see the low tessellated surfaces.

Hope this helps.

Chad

NormanHadley

Thanks, guys.

I can't get an OBJ off Creo, Martin. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it's not producing anything at the moment.

I'll try that in the morning, Chad. Night is falling here at 2 degrees west so it's time to go home.

phatty70

Same issue for me.  Same file from WF5 createed a 862mb file - coming from CREO2 creating a 3gb file.  Very interested to hear of any workarounds or ways to get back as these are some of the "lighter" environments i have to work with in the near future!

guest84672

NormanHadley

Hi Thomas and Chad. Yes, it looks like this problem remains. I have installed KS5.2, opened a full engine model and exported to KS. The export took around half an hour (I switched NURBS on and set tessellation to 0.01 as per Chad's suggestion). I then hit save on the BIP and went out for a lunchtime walk. Half an hour later, the progress indicator is on 11% and the BIP has reached 1.79 GB. Obviously, I can't spare 5 hours to save a file so I'm going to crash it now.

Chad Holton

Hm... this is strange. I did some testing after phatty's post yesterday - used WF5 and Creo 2. I exported the same file from both programs using tessellation values of 0, .25 & .5. The BIP file created matched up in size almost identically. Do you guys notice this behavior with every WF file or with certain ones?

NormanHadley

Morning, Chad.

Just to give you a moving target, I've upgraded to V3.3 of the plug in. The big Render/Update/Settings buttons are a nice touch :) but it hasn't solved the problem yet. :(

To make this a more manageable problem, I've tested this out on a single part - a casting core. With the default settings of NURBS on and tesselation of 0.01, the file size increased over 20-fold from the prt to the BIP. See attachment.

Norman

Chad Holton

Good morning, Norman. Thanks for the feedback and the file - I was about to ask for one to test out, you read my mind.  ;)
I'll let you know what I find out.

Chad

Chad Holton

Well, I went to open the file and couldn't - realized this is probably a Creo Elements file and not WF5... I have every version from WF5 and up except Elements. Anyhow, would you happen to have a WF5 file (giving you this issue) that you could share? If so, please send, to my attention, to: support@luxion.com

If it's large (above 5 meg), use this upload link: https://keyshot.wetransfer.com/

Thanks,
Chad

NormanHadley

Hi Chad. That's tricky because we've updated to Creo 2.0. I could write a. NEU file that you could at least open but I'm not sure it would replicate the problem which is transfer from Creo 2.0.

Norman

Chad Holton

No worries, Norman. I think Phatty is running WF5 - maybe he have a file he could share. I'll send him a PM.

NormanHadley

Morning, Chad

Here's that same geometry in neu format, if  it'll help.

Norman

Chad Holton

Thanks for uploading, Norman. I did some testing with it and didn't notice the file sizes being much different between WF5 & Creo 2 though..

However, I realized I'm using a slightly newer plugin version with Creo 2 and that may very well be the reason. Just so we are on the same page, I'm sending you guys a download link to it. It's uploading now - I'll send you and phatty70 a PM once it's ready.