Displacement

Started by mattjgerard, November 27, 2018, 01:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

So, finally got a project where I can try to use some subtle displacement on some rough metals and plastics. I grabbed some cast stainless steel texture packs from poliigon, and got the material graph sorted out (finally). I have 3 different materials using just a slight amount of displacement. It appears that when I change one of them, they all need to recalculate.

More specifically, I set up the material on one part, did the SHIFT+right click to copy, SHIFT+left click to paste to a different part, and the displacement on both parts recalculated. Is this how its supposed to work? I was planning on putting this material on a couple dozen parts, but if it has to recalculate for every object like this, its gets a bit unusable.

Then I unlinked that material and changed out the textures for different ones, and when I copied and pasted that 2nd material to new objects it is recalculating all the displacement for the first one and the second one! Once it calculates the geometry, is there a way to "bake" it to that object so that it doesn't have to recalculate just because a I pasted it to a new object?

Thanks!

designgestalt

hello Matt,
I would have to second that, I experienced the same !
I did not find a workaround yet and would be very interested in the experience of other users...
cheers
designgestalt

Esben Oxholm

+1
Have experienced the same.
Copying and pasting materials when there's displacement in the scene is far from ideal.

PhilipTh

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your feedback.

Displacement, along with the other geometry nodes, are still in an early stage, and there are many things that we are hoping to improve.

mattjgerard

Thanks for the response, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a setting somewhere that would force it to behave this way. Its great to see these features being developed and implemented! Its one of those things that now I know this is the way it is, I just need to adjust my workflow to add the displacement last :)

Cheers!