Material Graph of DOOM (McLaren 720S GT3 livery)

Started by Optimusglen, June 14, 2022, 09:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Optimusglen

I had the opportunity to create the press release images for the JPR McLaren with their kids livery. This was a short-term project, raising money to support disadvantaged children. The drivers had matching race suits that were auctioned off after the races.

Now, the livery was designed by someone else. I was given a folder with each of the elements and a few 2D vector views to use as a roadmap. The trick was that we wanted as little distortion as possible, and that meant placing each of these labels individually. There are a couple of fairly flat-ish areas where I could have combined elements into one and placed it, but because of how curvy the bodywork is it just ended up working better for me to place them all. Thankfully, I didn't need to set these all up in the material graph itself, I just opened it up after the fact and took a screenshot.

Will Gibbons

Uhhh, yeah. First off, awesome renderings!

But that graph... yikes! I suppose this is where one would normally UV unwrap the car's surface first and then be able to work with placing all the images in groups or a single image with all the graphics... but wow. Also, this is yet another case where we should be able to create collapsible groups of nodes in the material graph.

Optimusglen

Quote from: Will Gibbons on June 14, 2022, 10:44:25 AM
Uhhh, yeah. First off, awesome renderings!

But that graph... yikes! I suppose this is where one would normally UV unwrap the car's surface first and then be able to work with placing all the images in groups or a single image with all the graphics... but wow. Also, this is yet another case where we should be able to create collapsible groups of nodes in the material graph.

Thanks! I was just watching your latest vid on "Fixing YOUR renderings" Always great content.

I too was thinking it would be great to unwrap the body and place elements as needed, but I've never done it, and when I say it was a quick turn, it was about 1 week from first contact to final deliverables. As much as I would have loved diving into materials, learning skills, and working the environment more, I had to limit myself to a handful of previously saved materials and some basic lighting work. In the end, I was able to kick off a new relationship with a client that I enjoyed working with, and everyone was really happy with the outcome, so win/win.

And YES, man... grouping labels would make some automotive livery work so much easier.  Although, working outside of the graph was not too difficult when just replicating a fully defined livery. Being able to click on the specific label that I wanted to edit/copy/move made it pretty easy, just tedious.

Will Gibbons

Sure, with a quick turnaround and in your situation, I probably would have done the same.

Either way, nice job. And thanks for the kind words!

Sermore1

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN BOOOOOOOOOOOOY!
This nodes table is freaking crazy  :-X