What privilege does Keyshot have over Vray or Corona renderer?

Started by fa2020, January 02, 2017, 11:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fa2020

I did some tests in Keyshot but I found it very simple and weak. SSS is too weak and low quality. For example you cannot have a combination of translucency and glassy material, I mean, half-translucent-half-glassy. At the other hand you cannot have the sun over your HDRI. In vray you can have both the hdri and sun. You can change sun settings and position while your hdri is fixed. In Keyshot, if you activate full simulation, render time takes too long while in Vray or Corona, the rendering process is too fast. In Vray and Corona you can have the reflection of both the backplate and hdri on your object. This would help much in car renders. But jn keyshot you are able to have just hdri reflection on your object.
Those are some significant differences I found out between Keyshot and Vray and Corona. So what privalege do you see in Keyshot?

Will Gibbons

Hi fa2020, let's look at some of these items one at a time. Each render engine works a little differently. There may be a way to achieve the same result across different software, but the path you take may be different. See my answers in Italics below.

Quote from: fa2020 on January 02, 2017, 11:40:03 PM
I did some tests in Keyshot but I found it very simple and weak. SSS is too weak and low quality.
For the KeyShot material called 'Translucent', The strength of the SSS is based upon the translucency of the material. I'm pretty sure this slider will be based upon the scale of your model as it's unit-aware. Larger numbers will make it appear more translucent and show more of subsurface color. Also, you may get better results by checking the  global illumination checkbox for this material. Finally, if you're working with surfaces, I don't think this material will work well. You need water-tight volumes to get a good effect since it appears to be a unit-aware material. The quality of the finish will be dependent on how long you let it render. Also, using interior mode will usually help with rendering translucent materials depending on the scenario.
For example you cannot have a combination of translucency and glassy material, I mean, half-translucent-half-glassy.
Unless I misunderstand you, I believe I was able to combine translucent and glass material using the Material Graph.
At the other hand you cannot have the sun over your HDRI. In vray you can have both the hdri and sun.
You can create a pin in the HDRI editor that behaves like a sun. Make the pin with Radius of 4, color of 6500 Kelvin and Brightness of 3,000. This should cast bright light and create dark shadows. See attached images. One is just a sun and sky HDRI and the other is a studio HDRI with a 'sun pin' I added.
You can change sun settings and position while your hdri is fixed.
You will be able to do this in KeyShot 7
In Keyshot, if you activate full simulation, render time takes too long while in Vray or Corona, the rendering process is too fast.
Yes. Avoid using Full Simulation. I suggest beginning using the 'Product' lighting mode, then tweaking from there. Full simulation shouldn't be used.
In Vray and Corona you can have the reflection of both the backplate and hdri on your object. This would help much in car renders. But jn keyshot you are able to have just hdri reflection on your object.
This can be achieved using the Image Pin feature in KeyShot's HDRI editor. You add an image as a light source and it will reflect in objects.
Those are some significant differences I found out between Keyshot and Vray and Corona. So what privalege do you see in Keyshot?

Honestly, once you're aware of the features in KeyShot, you quickly realize there is nearly all the functionality you have in other programs. Often KeyShot is a faster and more efficient render engine.