Flickering and pixilated textures in animation

Started by germannick, November 02, 2017, 11:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

germannick

Since I updated to KS7 (current Version KS 7.1.51 and previous )  I cannot get smooth and clean animations anymore. Those images appear pixilated, they flicker and so forth.
Below you can download the results I am getting.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9eubedff7i94ss9/0940-E124_Animation.mp4?dl=0

Increasing the samples from 16 to 64 samples per frame does not make a difference. Using the Network renderer vs. a local render also makes no difference.
Changing from AVI to MP4 (compressed and uncompressed)...same horrible results.

I created a quick KS6 animation and rendered the same one afterwards in KS7. Resulting  in a clean KS6.3.23 and a poor KS 7.1.51  version.

It is very frustrating that I have to redue several timely animations in KS6 just to fit my customers deadline.

DriesV

Can you send the KS6 and KS7 scenes, so that we can have a look?
You can use https://keyshot.wetransfer.com/. Send to <dries at luxion dot com>.

Dries

germannick

Dries, it is on ist way to you!
Thank you in advance!

DriesV

DriesV

From my initial testing it seems like the actual frames are rendered fine, but the encoding causes artifacts in the video file. Can you confirm that the frames look fine on your end?
Do you usually output frames at all? Or do you just render to a video?

Dries

germannick

I usually just output the Video. Single images just great unneeded data within  my process.
I previously tested the other Output formats AVI compressed and uncompressed, as well as Quicktime compressed and uncompressed but the results are similar.

mattjgerard

Then I would guess that the next logical step would be to export frames and assemble them into a video. This is standard practice in many workflow pipelines, and I quickly became a fan when I was rendering directly out of Cinema4D, since many times I would just have to revise a small section of a longer render, and trying to match timecode numbers and frame numbers was problematic, but rendering out just the needed frames (Stills) and replacing just those was a lot easier.

Another benefit of using frames is that it limits you to inter-frame encoding and compression, whereas most compressed (albeit high quality) video codecs rely on intra-frame compression. Replacing frames in a intra-frame compressed video clip can result in shifts in noise patterns, shadow dancing, and other anomalies that appear because of that frame's reliance on the data in the frames before and after that particular frame. IF that data isn't there because you didn't render it, it can't reference it properly and the image may appear differently than the original.

Frames are your friend. They do create more files to deal with, and may take up more space, but they will be totally worth it in the end, in my opinion. At least in this case it would totally be worth trying from a troubleshooting standpoint.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mattjgerard on November 06, 2017, 05:49:40 AM
Then I would guess that the next logical step would be to export frames and assemble them into a video. This is standard practice in many workflow pipelines, and I quickly became a fan when I was rendering directly out of Cinema4D, since many times I would just have to revise a small section of a longer render, and trying to match timecode numbers and frame numbers was problematic, but rendering out just the needed frames (Stills) and replacing just those was a lot easier.

Another benefit of using frames is that it limits you to inter-frame encoding and compression, whereas most compressed (albeit high quality) video codecs rely on intra-frame compression. Replacing frames in a intra-frame compressed video clip can result in shifts in noise patterns, shadow dancing, and other anomalies that appear because of that frame's reliance on the data in the frames before and after that particular frame. IF that data isn't there because you didn't render it, it can't reference it properly and the image may appear differently than the original.

Frames are your friend. They do create more files to deal with, and may take up more space, but they will be totally worth it in the end, in my opinion. At least in this case it would totally be worth trying from a troubleshooting standpoint.

I'll have to agree with this 100%

Esben Oxholm

+1 on that. I've never considered not doing it since working more seriously with animations.

theAVator

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on November 06, 2017, 08:50:53 AM

+1 on that. I've never considered not doing it since working more seriously with animations.

+1 agree on both counts
I've been pinched a few times without exporting the frames and then running into issues - I do it for every animation now.