More machine shots

Started by mattjgerard, May 31, 2019, 12:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

More day to day work, yep there are little stuff that needs to be fixed on these, but they are better than what we have which is nothing! Really getting into more texture stuff, figuring out the lighting and per Will's suggestions (and loads of others that said the same) not being satisfied with the drag and drop HDRI's. To build my own or modify the ones in the library has really taken my images up a notch. I think next is to polish up my surface imperfections game, as in the industrial scenes I work on stuff is never supposed to be sharp and clean. So bring on the dust and dirt, the curvature and occlusion nodes!

mattjgerard

This rig  is for using a vision camera to verify the presence of all the components on a mobile device before the back cover is installed. This sensor here can detect if the tray is placed in the jig correctly or not. The texture on the bracket is a bit heavy, but I really tried to push the lighting a bit farther than in the past. Not being so afraid of bits that are blown out to white, as that does happen in real life.

Josh3D

I think these look great. Love to see these types of shots, Matt. Thanks for sharing them!

SK1107

Why didn't you use Emissive+Blur for laser beams?

mattjgerard

Quote from: SK1107 on July 01, 2019, 04:51:08 PM
Why didn't you use Emissive+Blur for laser beams?

When I started this job 2 years ago they had already developed the look and feel of the laser beams, and I guess it was quite a battle for them to decide what they wanted. So, that means no changes. I thought the same thing. But, in real life the beams are not visible, so we also didn't want them to interact with anything in the actual scene. Now we have a simple PS action built that we run after creating a path that strokes the path and applys the proper glow and such. Not ideal, but the decision was made before I got here. The other thing is that the lighting environment still affects how the laser beams look if done in KS, which is to be expected, but they wanted a more consistent look and this was the easiest way to achieve it for now. Not idea, but that's the corporate world for you

mattjgerard

Another one of the quick "oh crap it needs to go to print tomorrow" images, this is tower lights over stock imagery.

No time to build a scene, but we are doing more of this sort of work. I'm not happy about it, but job is about making images that work for what the internal client wants. The HDRI editor saved me with matching lighting with this background, as I had no HDRI to match the backplate. The Front Plate option in the Photographic Styles really helped by allowing me to do a rough composite with the overlapping parts. I would advocate for moving that into the main Environment tab under the Backplate Image option. Is very helpful. I don't like having to tweak the style curves and settings to try to get the image to look like it does with the basic options just to get a front plate over the image. Clients were happy, and I can move on to other work after about 2 hours of work.

I feel that so much of the stuff posted here is so far awesome, I don't have the time to dedicate to making such unbelievable images, so if there are anyone else that does this sort of quick and dirty "good enough for now" work, this Is for you :)

Josh3D

Hey Matt! Keep showin' what you're showin'! This is great to see and good to know how you're using KeyShot too. A lot of KeyShot users are in the same 'good enough for now' image generating position you are, so it's good to see it. Honestly, I would say this is MORE than good enough - looks great!

On the Frontplate Image - I see what you're saying about matching the Photographic Style to what you have in the Basic just so you can add a Frontplate? What if the Frontplate option were in Basic settings as well?

Look forward to seeing more, for sure!

mattjgerard

Quote from: Josh3D on July 11, 2019, 08:20:25 AM
On the Frontplate Image - I see what you're saying about matching the Photographic Style to what you have in the Basic just so you can add a Frontplate? What if the Frontplate option were in Basic settings as well?

Look forward to seeing more, for sure!

Yep, that would be great. I honestly don't use photographic image styles, as the basic works just fine, and we aren't doing artsy stuff that I can't do in photoshop, so while I see how it could be useful its just not in my workflow. So exposing the Frontplate functionality in the basic settings would be awesome!

And thanks for the kind words. This is what makes up 90% of my days, so stuff that makes that sort of work easier I'm all for.