HUGE!

Started by dalejsmith, May 23, 2012, 06:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalejsmith

I was wondering how many people are working with KS files that exceed 1 GB?

guest84672

There are quite a few.

danclarkwcp

We are working on some files right now in the 4 - 8 Gb range (for the saved BIP files). We're pretty much newbies at rendering, so I'm sure we don't have the ideal computer (or nearly enough knowledge). The first thing I did was to get a new computer (iMac i7 3.4 GHz), and fill it with 32 Gb of RAM. That cut out a lot of the HD thrashing when trying to import a file, from about 1.5 hours down to 30-40 min. Are you asking because you're running into problems/isssues?

Dan Clark
www.weinberg-clark.com

voxelman

Although not in the > 1 GB class, a recent memory upgrade from 6 to 12 GB greatly improved the performance of Keyshot when rendering a ProE file that weighs in at 90+MB. It still pegs the CPU, an i7 920, at 100% but that is to be expected.

PhilippeV8

I figure, it would even peg an "i700 920 multi combo spectro mega super cpu from the future" at 100% ..

voxelman

Yes and the future is all possibilities!

In the mid '90s I did videos of seismic data reconstructions (think oil wells in the Gulf of Mexico) using Silicon Graphics (SGI) Onyx mini super-computers. Those same data sets can now be reconstructed on a mid-range PC. It just keeps getting better and better and boy am I enjoying the ride.

At some point the renderings will occur in real time and there will be fully interactive manipulation of  photo realistic materials and components in the CAD and modeling tools. 3D printers will render fully functional creations at the molecular level in just a little bit longer. ;)

PhilippeV8

Well that last one is very exciting and they're working hard in that direction ... on the other hand, such machines will put countlesly people out of jobs ... imagine they can 3D print electrix right into objects now ... so no more assembly workers in any factory ... go figure ...

In the end it should be like this: only robots/machines work.  The people don't get any more money, they can do whatever they want.  (Who would you pay anyway).  This would obviously lead to total anarchy and world destruction, but hey ... the end of the world is coming by the end of this year anyways, so why worry  ;) ;D

voxelman

Never forget that the most powerful computer in the universe rests between your ears.