IES light geometry in Rhino

Started by rfollett, December 11, 2013, 08:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfollett

So I created 5 small spheres in a row in Rhino. All same layer. Open in keyshot and apply IES lights and I only get one light?

Do each of the spheres need to be in different layer to have them work as spot lights?

rfollett

Also what is the best shape geometry to use for ies lights?

edwardo

hi,

if all your (5) spheres are on the same layer in rhino they will be imported into keyshot as one piece of geometry (even though the appear to be 5 separate pieces - only 1 material type will be able to be assigned to ALL the spheres). put them on separate layers in rhino.

As far as geometry goes, i dont think it matters what shape it is when assigning an IES profile to it - the lights are directional and in general you would set the geometry to be invisible to the camera anyway.

hope this helps
ed

rfollett

rfollett

What I dont understand is why the spots always end up pointing the same way if if the geometry is pointing in different directions?

Here i created 2 small square planes and as you can see they are 90 degress different but if I apply IES they always point same way so I have to move all my lights?

rfollett

maymay

I created two parts in SolidWorks and then brought them into KS. I added the same IES file to each part and then rotated one part in KeyShot. The light aimed in a different direction. Did you rotate the plane in KeyShot? Or was that plane created and rotated in Rhino and then imported?

rfollett

I created the 2 planes in rhino , rotated one of them in rhino then imported to KS.

To me I would expect the light to point in the direction of the geometry?