Import scale - why different on same .bip file?

Started by jhiker, April 27, 2013, 05:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhiker

I've generated a .bip file from my CAD program.
I opened it it Keyshot v4.
I then imported into the scene the very same .bip and it comes in really tiny.
Why?

If I check the scales in the scene tree the first model is at scale 1 and the second model is at scale 0.028
Why?

I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to do something as apparently simple as this.

jhiker

I tried this again. The scale actually comes in at 0.0268 - is that just random or does it mean something?
These are my import settings - ....01.jpg
And this is what the scene looks like when it's done the import - ...02.jpg.
What's happening - are my 'Import settings' incorrect?
I'd appreciate some feedback from Luxion.

Chad Holton

Hi jhiker - try it with "Keep Original" checked under Size. It works fine for me here but I am on a newer version. ~Chad

jhiker

HI Chad,
Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested. Came in at the correct scale but the location was waaaay out.

I then checked 'Keep Original' in both 'Location' and 'Size' dialogues and it came in fine - right on top of the old one.

I'm on version 4.0.74 - is there a newer one?

Many thanks

Chad Holton

Quote from: jhiker on April 30, 2013, 08:06:07 AM

I'm on version 4.0.74 - is there a newer one?

You're using the latest released version. Let us know if you run into anything else.

Take care,
Chad

guest84672

jhiker, you are using Alibre, correct? If so, the problem is that Alibre still uses our old plugin technology that doesn't keep the original size. Everything that comes in is scaled.

The new plugin technology we are using will always keep the original size of a model.

jhiker

Hi Thomas,
This is interesting.....
Yes, I'm using the latest version of Alibre. However, I'm not using the version of Keyshot that comes bundled with Alibre, I have the full (separate/stand-alone) Keyshot package. I simply export from Alibre as a BIP file for convenience.
Are you saying Alibre is lagging behind on the development of the plug-in? Should I take it up with Alibre?
Might I be better exporting from Alibre as a STEP file, maybe?
Thanks for your help.