Crash after Duplicate/Select

Started by maymay, January 28, 2014, 06:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maymay

I've experienced this crash many times. Duplicate a part and then select the new duplicate from the scene tree and KS closes.

Chad Holton

Sorry if you mentioned it before, but what version of KeyShot are you working with exactly (under Help>About)? I'll test it out to see if I can reproduce. Let me know if you have any other tips on how to recreate.

Thanks,
Chad

maymay

Sorry, I should've known to do that!

KS ver 4.3.10, Windows 7 64.

I'm not sure exactly what's different, but it may simply be the number of parts in the assembly that I'm duplicating because this only happens with certain assemblies. I imported a simple part and a simple assy and didn't run into this problem with either of those. But a certain assembly I have will consistently reproduce this crash.

As far as I know, it's as simple as doing what I've explained. A work around that has worked (but maybe not always) is to select a part in the render window first. It seems to crash only if you select the duplicate in the scene tree immediately after creating the duplicate. If you go off and do something else it won't crash.

maymay

I've played with it a little more, and I found that deleting a complicated sub assembly of the assembly that has been causing this crash when duplicated prevents the crash from happening. There must be something in particular about that sub assy that's causing this issue. I unfortunately can't send it to you.

I'm trying to find another assembly that has this issue that I can send out but so far have had no luck.

maymay

OK, I found a SketchUp model that I downloaded from the 3D warehouse that causes this crash (sometimes). Sometimes I had to duplicate it again if it didn't crash when I selected the first duplicate. If I duplicated it several times without a crash, I would create a new document and import it again. That was the most reliable way I was able to reproduce the crash.

Can I upload that model here (don't know if there are any copyright issues or something)? Or I can email it to you.

thomasteger

Y.Lange

Hi Thomas and Maymay,

I can confirm the same bug. It happens with almost any solidworks files with >10 bodies.
But it is not related to assemblies in solidworks.
My models are parts with multiple bodies.

Also can confirm the workaround Maymay mentioned.
I'm on win 8.1 with KS 4.3.10

Vlad

I've spotted the same problem. I'm on 4.3.10 but on 4.2 it was the same (maybe a bit worse.. can't give numbers). I'm working mostly with CREO files.

I've also noticed that it kicks you out of Keyshot not exactly after the duplicate, but with the first action you do after the duplicate (e.g, move, material change, environment change...).

SO when you duplicate don't do anything, just hit save. Then you can do a change on the scene and hope for the best. There's a huge chance not to crash and you can keep on working normally. I already got used to it and it works for me this way.

Cheers, Vlad

PhilippeV8

thomasteger

We will look into this. So far I can't reproduce it, but it could be platform specific.

tom123456789

Im having the same problems.

To be honest its to much to deal with. Ive spent two days trying to move some parts around....not a render to show for it...my client isnt very happy!

I did find a work around though chaps - if you hide the parts in the tree (everything) you can duplicate from the tree without crash - if you unhide one at a time..when you think you might be posistioned right unhide both and, fingers crossed, you should be set!

If i do manage to duplicate and move i then find the file doesnt open.....it just show a black screen or an empty scene.

Are the files just to big to open?

I need help asap!

Cheers

Speedster

I've had the "Duplicate = Crash" issue many times.  I discovered I have to 1) SAVE!!!  2) Duplicate, but wait a minute before doing anything else after the duplicate appears in the tree.  Then it seems OK.  So- don't rush!

BOXX 32 cores, 32 GB RAM, Win7x64.  KeyShot 4.1.30.

Bill G

maymay

I've emailed the file that I was able to reproduce the crash with to support@luxion. Sorry for the delay.

thomasteger

Great. We will definitely take a look.

Speedster - you are 2 updates behind.

tom123456789

Hi All,

so i've been doing some experimenting....

i just went out and bought a new graphics card (geforce gtx760) just so i could rule out a graphics card error - the new card did not help.

The .bips still wouldn't open - so i rebooted, tried the file - fail - reboot, try the file - fail ....repeat!  eventually it opened.

to duplicate - hide the 1st part (empty the viewport) then duplicate via the tree - unhide the duplicate and move to desired location. now you can unhide all you should be fine - i even managed to fine tune the placement of each part with everything unhidden.

If you are having trouble like me with .bip files not opening (black or empty screen)- hide all the parts before saving. This way they seem to open every time.

If you are having trouble importing large assemblies/files 'pause' the viewport before importing - again this seems to work 80% of the time...

Hope this all helps - i know how annoying this type of glitch can be - its an easy way to waste a whole day!

Cheers

Tom