KeyShot 4 Fails To Load

Started by keaneray, September 17, 2014, 01:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keaneray

Since yesterday KS4 won't load. It just stalls on the importing window. This happens when just opening KS or opening a .bip. I have the latest version.

Any ideas why this is happening and how it can be fixed?

Chad Holton

Does it get stuck on loading the startup.bip file every time? If so, try replacing it with another BIP just to test. This file should be located under Program Files>KeyShot4>bin folder

Let me know if this helps or not.

Chad Holton

Here's my starup.bip file, if you want to try using it.

keaneray

Hi Chad,

I have tried numerous .bip files with the same result. I tried updating the starup.bip you uploaded, but had the same results. I fear a reinstall coming on  :-[

cubicart

I just experienced this problem also ... at first the material library refresh hung at 37%, so I tried re-installing and had the same issue. Occasionally the program launch would hang up as you have shown.

I ultimately ended up re-installing software again, creating newly named install and resource folders. This seems to have fixed the problem for me. Not sure what caused the issue; maybe something got corrupted.

keaneray

I ended up re installing a large number of times. Like Cubicart said the material library refresh hung around 30% a good few times. I have it working again, but it's just been very frustrating.

Ruckus

I've had this happen a few times.  Always due to one or more corrupt material files.  I rename the Materials folder & create a new one, then move sub-folders of materials from the old folder to the new one, restarting KS after every copied sub-folder.  When KS locks up again, you are getting close to the problem file.  continue the process of elimination until you find the bad file.

Keaneray - If you found a more elegant solution, please share it.

Luxion guys - A subroutine to check each material before loading it, tossing out the bad ones (with a warning), might be a good idea.

keaneray

Ruckus you've nailed it on the head. I think it is a corrupt material file issue. KS4 is working fine now, but I haven't replaced all my materials from my backup, just the ones I need. I'm cautious to replace the whole materials file until I can locate the corrupt material file.

keaneray

Found the problem. It was a material 'Grimey Gold' download from this post https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,8932.msg42855.html#msg42855 Doesn't work on KS4 if created on KS5. Bit of a bummer.