Main Menu

Tide Bottle

Started by timbudtwo, April 14, 2016, 10:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbudtwo

My first real render - this is what I used to learn keyshot. I am in my second semester of Solidworks. Semester 1 is solid bodies, semester 2 is surfaces. We had to make a variety of bottles and this one was a toughie.

Milky plastic #3 for the cap, Plastic for the bottle

TpwUK

That's pretty good for s first render, certainly better than my first render :)

Martin

timbudtwo

Quote from: TpwUK on April 14, 2016, 04:49:58 PM
That's pretty good for s first render, certainly better than my first render :)

Martin

Let me clarify, not my first ABSOLUTE render. This is just the first model that I have tried rendering, and this is as far as my current experience level will get me while still getting that feeling of accomplishment at the end. :D There were more than a couple renders to see what was going on with the light, a few renders to figure out that translucency more than quadruped my render time, and a few renders to realize that "maximum time" is a terrible option.  I'm so new I can't nit pick too much, but when I sent people pix on my phone (when I was bragging) I convinced a couple people it was real.

What can I do better? It still has a bit of that uncanny look to it in my opinion.

Arn

Quote from: timbudtwo on April 14, 2016, 08:39:36 PM
What can I do better? It still has a bit of that uncanny look to it in my opinion.
Try to add some subtle imperfections. The materials now look perfectly smooth, while the surrounding environment like the table and clothes have much more going on. Perfection quickly looks fake.

TpwUK

[/quote]

Design some labels for it, most of us do not see the naked plastic bottle. Adding labels will give you a more realistic product vis look, you can then add much and grunge to the whole if you want to create a more used look, so do both if you can :)

Martin

timbudtwo

Quote from: TpwUK on April 15, 2016, 04:16:54 AM

Design some labels for it, most of us do not see the naked plastic bottle. Adding labels will give you a more realistic product vis look, you can then add much and grunge to the whole if you want to create a more used look, so do both if you can :)

Martin
[/quote]

I was planning on doing this, however the course is simply about surfacing and this is going in a portfolio. If I was in engineering school then the precision would probably be appreciated, but its design school; Instructors are sticklers.

I'm trying to figure out an interesting texture to put on it. Fingerprints looks pretty gimmicky. Adding some cellular pattern as a bump looked kind of interesting up close, but once you zoom out it stops looking like a blow molded bottle. Any suggestions?

Arn

Quote from: timbudtwo on April 16, 2016, 11:22:57 AM
I'm trying to figure out an interesting texture to put on it. Fingerprints looks pretty gimmicky. Adding some cellular pattern as a bump looked kind of interesting up close, but once you zoom out it stops looking like a blow molded bottle. Any suggestions?
I would suggest something very subtle. If you look at real world objects, you will find that reflections and glints are never perfect. You always see a little bit of waviness or a break in the actual glint of an object. That is what adds to the feeling of it being real, instead of perfect and rendered. In a plastic bottle, these imperfections will be caused by either the casting process, causing a very slight waviness, or tiny scuffs and marks created by handling the bottle.

For practice, look at real world objects and pay close attention to the way the glints and shimmers look. Almost always they will be broken up or have dips and variations in them.  Adding a little grunge to things often goes a long way, though you should be careful not to go overboard.

Josh3D

First of all, welcome to the KeyShot forum. Great start.

You never really see a wash detergent bottle in this setting, so I think this image has a lot going for it from that aspect. With the tight DOF (in background and foreground) that bottle is looking smaller than it should. I think the perspective is spot on, but the scale of the bottle seems small as well.

I would reference shots of an actual Tide bottle to dial in color and perhaps do a search for 'bottles on tables' to get an idea for different looks you could try.

Will Gibbons

I was surprised that Josh is the only one to mention it, but I also think it's too small in comparison to the shirts. Also, if it's the focus of the image, it should take up at least 75% of the frame.

I'd add some tiny procedural noise texture. Also, if you're not allowed to add a label for class, I understand, but I'd design a custom logo (with your name or some cool fictitious brand on it) just for fun and turn both in, or keep the labeled on for your portfolio. As someone who graduated from ID school 5 years ago, I'll tell you that people who will be looking at your portfolio (and potentially hiring you) will definitely appreciate the extra step.

Also, I suggest a more interesting composition. Bring the camera lower and make it more of a hero shot with a strong light source. That way we can see the textures you add. Reference some of these images https://www.google.com/search?q=laundry+detergent+bottle&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVrvXp_KnMAhWDGj4KHWlpB3IQsAQIHA&biw=1415&bih=1027

Good luck. I'd love to see the next renderings of this.