Fiskars Cook's Knife

Started by Esben Oxholm, February 04, 2012, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

So this time I've modelled a Fiskars Cook's Knife and a chopping board in Autodesk Inventor and textured and rendered it with Keyshot. The illustrated hand and the cucumber is added in photoshop.
I would appreciate some feedback on this one.

The reference I used for modelling:

Let me hear what you think :)

Speedster

Looks nice!  Maybe drop the brightness of the cutting board just a bit (if a texture) or drop the intensity if it's a decal.
Bill G

PhilippeV8

Ok, even though it looks realistic .. I'd try a cleaner wood texture for the board.  It makes your product render look less clean and less sellable (?)

I did a quick google search for kooking knife images and here are some inspiring setups:

Esben Oxholm

Thanks for feedback.
I agree with you on the board texture. It's way too busy. Below is a quick render of a cleaner board, which I think is better.

Thanks for the inspiration Philippe. I may try to do a shot like them when I get this one right :)

Esben Oxholm

Cleaner board and adjustet background colors. Looks better?

Chad Holton

Looking good - I like the updated one better. The cucumbers need some shadow or something, to blend a little more with the scene.

feher

Much better, but, I feel your gamma is way to high. Your loosing your midtones. When that happens it makes things look like they are glowing like your board.
Your close.
If you like I would like to show you what I'm saying if you like I could set up a scene for you. That way you can see how I set up the gammas and brightness...etc for this shot.
All I would need is a KSP file.
PM me and let me know.
I'm not saying what I would do to it is correct but it will at least show you how someone else might go about it. Maybe we can learn something from one another.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim

Imz

I think there are a couple issues which pull the viewer out of the image and make it look synthetic:

1)  depth of field- the cutting board is just way too sharp/ demands too much attention instead of blending into the ambiance of the scene.

2) the edges of the cucumbers are too sharp- the front ones look like they are floating instead of sitting on the cutting board.

3) something strange with the hand- did you trace it from a photo? something isn't quite right- maybe the three bottom fingers don't look like they have room to wrap under the handle?

Interesting problem- nice work!

EGON

Looks like Homer Simpsons hand. Use a woman's hand. Also let the black outline extend to the edge of the page. But wait there's more ! :) The Knife looks good.

Esben Oxholm

Thanks for the comments.

@Imz
1) I agree. In the next render i'll try to enable DOF.
2) Again I agree... I'll try unsharpen it and work with the shadow
3) Traced it from a photo of an old mans hand, but will as EGON suggest try to use a woman's hand

@EGON
Thanks. Great idea to use a woman's hand. I'll try it.

More to come :)