20 New Images! Render DUMPPPPP

Started by Will Gibbons, May 23, 2016, 07:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Hossein Alfideh on January 01, 2017, 01:29:02 AM
unfortunately I couldn't check forum for a while but I don't miss your work on your Instagram dude!
perfect as always!  :)

I wouldn't say perfect, but many thanks Hossein! I appreciate the support.

Will Gibbons

I've got lots of work I need to add to this thread... will do so when I have time. However, I wanted to toss this one into the mix as I just got done fiddling with it. I saw Martin's Gemology post https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=13674.msg70541#msg70541 and liked the idea of trying a polished Agate material. Turned out to be a bit of a challenge. I made a super primitive 'potato' in Fusion 360, then cut it in half. Sent it over to KeyShot and hopped in the MatGraph. Parts of it are definitely not right, but I had to live with. Gave it some love in PhotoShop to get over the fact that the edges were too perfect, and to add those photographic touches.

Cheers.

bdesign

Excellent, Will! Really great texturing and strong, polished shine represented with the lighting. And a well placed, non-cheesy, appropriate usage of a lens flare :) I played around a bit with the agate idea myself, with practically an identical color palette in the Wood (Advanced) node :) Well done.

Cheers,
Eric

TpwUK

Wonderful result Will, I prefer your coloured bands to mine, and thanks for the mention! You seem to have a better result with the Cellular noise than what both Eric and myself managed to achieve but that's something I need to chase with KS as I don't want to pull away from your great effort.

I prefer your reflections to mine also, and that subtle lens flare is a nice touch. I don't have a polished agate for reference any more as my mineral collection was stolen years ago and I never replaced it, but I am hoping my texture is correct in that the angular mapping method should make the bands almost disappear when viewed from different angles - I will be testing that once I model that agate slice and sort those sharp edges out :)

I think you have done really well with what is not an easy material to emulate !

Martin

Will Gibbons

Quote from: bdesign on January 24, 2017, 08:31:34 PM
Excellent, Will! Really great texturing and strong, polished shine represented with the lighting. And a well placed, non-cheesy, appropriate usage of a lens flare :) I played around a bit with the agate idea myself, with practically an identical color palette in the Wood (Advanced) node :) Well done.

Cheers,
Eric

Thank you! You've got very keen eyes. I pulled colors from what I saw after searching for image references on Google. I really couldn't find a good example of the surface roughness, so kind of had to make that up as I went along.

Quote from: TpwUK on January 25, 2017, 12:12:06 AM
Wonderful result Will, I prefer your coloured bands to mine, and thanks for the mention! You seem to have a better result with the Cellular noise than what both Eric and myself managed to achieve but that's something I need to chase with KS as I don't want to pull away from your great effort.

I prefer your reflections to mine also, and that subtle lens flare is a nice touch. I don't have a polished agate for reference any more as my mineral collection was stolen years ago and I never replaced it, but I am hoping my texture is correct in that the angular mapping method should make the bands almost disappear when viewed from different angles - I will be testing that once I model that agate slice and sort those sharp edges out :)

I think you have done really well with what is not an easy material to emulate !

Martin

Thanks Martin! I've attached a screen shot of the material graph. I honestly thought you'd used the marble procedural, which is why I tried out wood... then I looked back at your thread and saw you'd also used the wood procedural. So, really similar, just a different aesthetic. I like the glittery/quartz-like bits in yours. There's a lot of directions that this kind of thing could go in I think.

Don't think you'll 'pull away' from my effort. I love the fact that the regular users here push each other. I think of it like 'riffing' in a band... the back and forth benefits everyone's results and learning. Also, the rough outside of your agate I think was much more successful than mine.

A nice displacement map on the outer surface would be great!

Cheers!

TpwUK

QuoteThanks Martin! I've attached a screen shot of the material graph. I honestly thought you'd used the marble procedural, which is why I tried out wood... then I looked back at your thread and saw you'd also used the wood procedural. So, really similar, just a different aesthetic. I like the glittery/quartz-like bits in yours. There's a lot of directions that this kind of thing could go in I think.

Don't think you'll 'pull away' from my effort. I love the fact that the regular users here push each other. I think of it like 'riffing' in a band... the back and forth benefits everyone's results and learning. Also, the rough outside of your agate I think was much more successful than mine.

A nice displacement map on the outer surface would be great!

Cheers!
The only thing I was going to raise is that the cellular procedural needs a method to control how close the cells are and another to stretch by a random amount on the x, y axis to be able to create a more realistic fractured/shattered effect. How do you feel about it now that you have tried it with this project ? Is it something worth chasing ?

Yes I used displacement mapping with Blender to get lumps, but had to be really careful with it to stop the agate face becoming too detached. When I get to doing a slice I won't need as many polygons so will be able to fill the planar faces after the displacement has been applied to the outer edge  ... Or at least I think I can :P

But I definitely agree the Wood(advanced) and the use of translucency(advanced) has massive potential in many areas that haven't been fully explored :)

Martin

jnguyen3d

Loving the work here, Will! I always get so excited when I see someone post the material graph. Really sparks the nerd within.  ;D

Will Gibbons

Quote from: TpwUK on January 25, 2017, 09:10:14 AM
The only thing I was going to raise is that the cellular procedural needs a method to control how close the cells are and another to stretch by a random amount on the x, y axis to be able to create a more realistic fractured/shattered effect. How do you feel about it now that you have tried it with this project ? Is it something worth chasing ?

Yeah, I'd have to look back at it. Off memory, I can't identify a solution for the randomness within cellular. I agree, spacing slider would be cool. I won't say it can't be solved, but would definitely take some creativity. The lattice procedural comes to mind because I think it has those spacing parameters... not sure if it can be used to effectively drive or alter the cellular, probably not. Sure is fun thinking about though (aaand I sound like a nerd) :o

Quote from: jnguyen3d on January 25, 2017, 01:29:13 PM
Loving the work here, Will! I always get so excited when I see someone post the material graph. Really sparks the nerd within.  ;D

Thanks for the support and comment! I appreciate it. nerd+1 :P

Magnus Skogsfjord

I love that reflection! So crisp and clean (but slightly dirty) reflection. Can't really add much to the nerdgasm over here, but it's a real eye pleaser up close that one.

Josh3D

Looks AWESOME Will and love the contrast of rough outer and polished face.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on January 26, 2017, 05:41:52 AM
I love that reflection! So crisp and clean (but slightly dirty) reflection. Can't really add much to the nerdgasm over here, but it's a real eye pleaser up close that one.

Quote from: Josh Mings on January 26, 2017, 09:41:19 AM
Looks AWESOME Will and love the contrast of rough outer and polished face.

Cheers guys! Thanks a lot. It's always nice to hear from you.

Speedster

This is so neat!  I'm still trying to get my head around Matgraph.  I've been studying the node shot, and for me at least, how in the heck do you figure out what to use and what gets connected to what?  Probably the same way a musician gets to Carnegie Hall- "practice, practice, practice"!  Thanks for sharing!
Bill G

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Speedster on January 27, 2017, 10:56:23 AM
This is so neat!  I'm still trying to get my head around Matgraph.  I've been studying the node shot, and for me at least, how in the heck do you figure out what to use and what gets connected to what?  Probably the same way a musician gets to Carnegie Hall- "practice, practice, practice"!  Thanks for sharing!
Bill G

Thanks Bill! That's a good anecdote. My answer to that question would be one step at a time.

Will Gibbons

Hey guys,

I did a webinar yesterday on the Material Graph. Here are some of the images I created for the presentation used for the webinar. I'd love any C&C should you feel compelled :) The goal of these were to show off various features of the Material graph (not necessarily to make the craziest material).

bdesign

Oh man, these are great images, Will! I really love the marble player back view shot...the lighting and material work is beautiful! Well done, man :)

Cheers,
Eric