Color system

Started by shamblingcat, September 17, 2013, 09:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamblingcat

Does Keyshot use a different color system than other software? I don't understand why entering the exact RGB values I want results in different numbers when opened in photoshop. This makes it very frustrating to match colors. A simple comparison is just looking at grayscale values. To achieve a 90% gray background in Keyshot I need to set the value to 1%. 

I've attached an image which should illustrate the difference I'm talking about.

Is there something that can be done to correct this?

Chad Holton

It's probably the gamma setting that you would need to adjust. Use a setting of 1 (under Project>Settings tab).

shamblingcat

Thanks, looks like that worked. Is there a way to not have the gamma setting affect the background color?

It seems like the default setting should be 1 to represent colors accurately.

Chad Holton

Quote from: shamblingcat on September 17, 2013, 11:19:54 AM
Is there a way to not have the gamma setting affect the background color?

Try using a backplate with the color you're after - gamma/brightness won't affect it.

Claus Jensen

You could calculate the gamma value of the color before applying it.

If you have your color (red, green, blue) in the value range 0-1 then the equations are

new_red = red ^ gamma
new_green = green ^ gamma
new_blue = blue ^ gamma

If you have a gray color (0.5, 0.5, 0.5) and is using a gamma of 2 then the new value would be (0.5^2, 0.5^2, 0.5^2) = (0.25, 0.25, 0.25). This would equal RGB 0-255 (64, 64, 64). So if you have a gray color in Photoshop with the value (127, 127, 127) then the equivalent color would be (64, 64, 64) when a gamma correction of 2 is used.

PS: another easier workflow is to avoid the math and use the eye dropper in the color picker. If you have enabled "Gamma correct color dialog selection" in Preferences -> Color Management, then this eye dropper will automatically do the conversion for you.

shamblingcat

Thanks Claus! That helped a lot. This is the first time I've used the eyedropper in keyshot.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on secondary monitors which is where I'm most likely to have reference images open. Do you know if there are any plans to add that functionality?