Keyshot file keeps growing, up to 8gb in size now!

Started by eobet, September 21, 2017, 04:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eobet

I work with large CAD models, so my files are big, but I noticed something which feels wrong a few times now. First in Keyshot 6, then Keyshot 7:

If I have a model set, and then delete it, the keyshot file still retains an increased file size.

If I import an additional model and then delete it, the keyshot file also still retains an increased file size.

Why is this?

---

Case in point:

I just imported a STL file into my Keyshot file that seemed to screw up the lighting. So I deleted all parts except one tiny one that had obvious lighting issues and made a .KSP file out of it. The result was a single .HDZ 15mb file and a freaking 4.6gb .BIP file for basically a small metal bracket that's got the default aluminium rough material on it. What bug is in play here?

mattjgerard

I've had this happen as well, its like some sort of hidden undo cache isn't emptied until a certain point. Even doing a "Save As..." didn't work. I had to close the project, open a different project, then reopen the original project to get the file size to reflect the fact that I deleted 90% of the geometry. And this was all when I was trying to bundle a file for sending into support !!!!

In lots of the adobe products, there is a "Purge Cache" function, maybe we can have something like that? I understand the the undo functions can sometimes hang on to stuff a little longer than intended too.

guest84672

This issue is addressed in KeyShot 7.1. The workaround in prior versions was to open the the scene, and save it again.

eobet

Quote from: thomasteger on September 21, 2017, 09:38:38 AM
This issue is addressed in KeyShot 7.1. The workaround in prior versions was to open the the scene, and save it again.

I don't find it to be adressed at all. I just deleted all my scene/model sets save one, and deleted 90% of the geometry in my file and reimported some new and optimized replacement geometry.

Last file with an "OK" size was 1.5gb. Most recent Keyshot 7.1 save: 7.5gb.

So, around july/august this year, things were "fine", but now (october) they're not again?