Lapis Lazuli Skull (+ new Plate Turquoise)

Started by Speedster, March 21, 2017, 11:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Just for grins, pun intended!  We use this skull for surgical device development, but hey...  FYI- doesn't look too good in crystal!
Bill G

Will Gibbons

Cool! The texture looks like it might be pixelating a tad in a couple areas. My uncle who's a geologist always had the coolest mineral collections and I remember some ones he had that were dark green and polished with thin veins of gold copper throughout. Would look pretty cool on the skull model.

Speedster

Man, this is a fun break!  Lapis Lazuli with gold inclusions, and Malachite, with a crazy but correct pattern.  To get around the pixilation issue from small stone samples I simply scaled down the model!

Back to work!

Bill G

Alfvisions

Would you mind showing the material graph of the last skull? Thanks

Speedster

QuoteWould you mind showing the material graph of the last skull?
It's just a JPEG as a texture map (surface color), on translucent material.  Only one box in the graph.
Bill G

TpwUK

Malachite is looking especially good, would be a great texture to practice UV mapping skills with... Never tried Lapis Lazuli before so just might have to play with that :)

Great to see you trying something different though Bill, well done to you sir

Martin

Speedster

Gotta stop this and get back to work!  But it's turned into an interesting exercise in mapping.

The ancient Maya had a practice of "plating" the skulls of royalty with fitted turquoise plates.  They usually pulled the teeth first!

Plastic material, JPEG texture map and matching bump, using Box Mapping.

Bill G