Regulator Watch (+ new Swirled Malachite, bronze casework)

Started by Speedster, February 20, 2017, 05:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

Took Saturday off and modeled up a "Regulator Watch" in SolidWorks, rendered in KeyShot Pro 6.  It's based on my favorite timepiece, the classic English Precision Astronomical Regulator, which I built (real, and still ticking!) about 40 years ago, modeled in SW about 10 years ago, and I've shared several times on the forum.

I've always wondered what this classic design would look like as a watch, and now I know.  I really like the simple and elegant look!  Perhaps in a future life I may design the movement!

Bill G

Speedster

Just for grins.  Gold-filled black dial, black leather strap.
Bill G

Finema

bdesign

imikej

Wow!  Really, really nice.  A beautiful model too.

TpwUK

The black and gold version has much more mood and better lighting Bill .... Good job buddy

Martin

Magnus Skogsfjord

+1 on Martins comment here, but I really like the softness of the white dial!

Speedster

Thanks for the compliments, guys!  Much appreciated!

The black/gold was just for grins, but I really like it as a departure from the traditional.  The great designer Henry Dreyfus once told me that "contemporary is simply the updating of the traditional".  Maybe I can trade Audemars Piguet my design for a real one!

The white dial is from my translucent "ivory" material I developed some time back for my "Rodentia Manual Manipulator", that I posted here on the forum several years ago.  I removed the cracks and yellow tint.  I remember seeing fine watch dials made from ivory.  A radial spun silvered surface is also traditional, but does not look as elegant.

Lighting was nasty, as I modeled the crystal with a slight 0.50 mm dome, so catch lights are problematic.  I may redo it as a flat crystal.  Also, I forgot to map the leather edges to better capture the layers and grain direction.  Not a biggie, but hey... I did the inner band surface lighter, as that's how my own watch is.

Overall, I'm happy with the design, as my intent just to see what it would look like.  I want one!

Bill G

Esben Oxholm

Great job, Bill.
Beautiful design.

I'm amazed by all your stories of stuff that you have designed and created through your life. Very inspiring!

Speedster

I just read an article on a jeweler who's developed a technique to laser engrave gemstones, and then fill the engraving in gold and silver.  I don't know if it a true fill, or a selective plating process.

Anyway, I wanted to see what my watch would look like in Lapis Lazuli and Malachite...

Bill G

Josh3D

That process sounds interesting and these watches look great!

TpwUK

Lapis looks awesome on that face! ... Great choice and result

Martin

Hossein Alfideh

Lapis and Malachite are really special!
I would love to have one of those myself Bill.every time I look at it feels like I'm tripping.(just kidding dude)  :D

Speedster

I really love this watch!

New "Swirled Malachite" dial, satin bronze casework.  I also swapped the domed crystal for a flat one, and narrowed the strap horns.

Only post is the signature.

Bill G