A question about glass material

Started by Gilgamersh, March 20, 2013, 08:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilgamersh

How to make this effct on a glass cup or something make of glass else?I have been obstructed by this for several days..I'm a freshman,please get me out.

guest84672

Not sure - maybe applying a texture could work?

KeyShot

You can apply a texture to the dielectric material (which is the advanced representation of the glass material). The structure you are showing looks like it has internal glass parts. You should model those and apply a dielectric material to represent the boundary between the color glass elements.

TpwUK

If it's ornamental glassware I would model the colours into the glass, if it's functional glassware such as a cup or bottle then you might struggle more because of the glass thickness and the inner space required for whatever the glass would hold

Martin

Gilgamersh

I had tried several  textures,but it couldn't work.They looked like paint on its surface.But I want to get a internal effect..Thanks all of you.

Gilgamersh

It is truly a ornamental glassware. Should I model two parts of them then combine it?Its irregular shape may cause me double troubles..I'm not very good at it..Thanks o lot for your answer.

TpwUK

Hi Gilgamersh, if that's the case then use bend, twist and stretch and if you are using Solids/NURBS modeller use Boolean tools to remove the ornamental part from the main glass, the inner faces that are left can then be assigned a new material/layer ... If you are using a polygon modeller then don't use boolean leave the shape as if it was a super bubble.

Hope that helps

Martin

Edit: This was just a quick throw it together, NURBS solids with no Boolean, Will test it tomorrow when i get chance to see if it works better when done that way

Gilgamersh

Thanks Martin!
Though my skill is terrible,but it shows much better than what I have done last night.Thank you again!

TpwUK

Ok Gilgamersh, it definitely works better as just solids and no booleans - Have a marball type of thingy

Martin

Arnaud

Here is an example of Murano's glass. I made the model using Tsplines (inner and outer shape) and made the rendering with Chad Holton's help. Material are gems.

The Bip scene is available.

A 3 layers (red / orange / transparent) Rhino model is also available on request

TpwUK

Nice Arnaud - Surprised you need T-splines but it does look excellent, almost melting character, you can find mt Marball here http://grabcad.com/library/glass-object-render-test-model in several formats if you want to play with it

Martin