Material Grain Direction differences

Started by JenniferBurke, November 15, 2017, 11:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JenniferBurke

Hi Team,
I noticed that when applying a material that has a grain direction, in this case a laminate, to the edge of a table, the user edge grain direction goes one way, and the depth side goes another. I'm attaching a few files. Keyshot 6 file where it works and the grain direction is 'linked', the .dwg, the keyshot 7 file along with the .jpg. I couldn't packaged keyshot 7 up, it wasn't letting me for some reason, hence the .jpg too. Please let me know what's going on. Our fix right now is to edit geometry and separate the edges from each other, which can be daunting with large layouts.

Esben Oxholm

Hi Jennifer.
If I understand your problem correctly, then it sounds like you are doing it right by separating the geometry and controlling the grain direction individually.

An alternative way would be to UV unwrap the model and create custom texture maps for it.

soren

I had a quick look and I believe the problem is that the grain on the sides of the table do not go down on all sides in KS7, right?

To fix that, hit activate the Move Texture tool and rotate the box map 90 degrees around the X axis (red circle), or alternative set Axis Tilt to 90 degrees. There is a fairly small orange arrow near the edge of the mapping cube showing the direction of the texture (your grain).

Søren

JenniferBurke

HI Soren,

That worked! It's an extra step that we didn't have to do in Keyshot 6, which is odd---but thanks for the solution! What I did instead of using the cube to rotate I typed in 90 in the angle slot under the Move Texture icon. That worked too.