Need input for improvement

Started by bronson, October 13, 2014, 11:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bronson

Hi all,

Here is my render that I need all inputs to improve for my next project. Thanks.

Bronson  ;)

Zen

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve.  But to me, the pen and glass don't feel right, material wise.  the phone screen could also probably do with a lighting shift when viewed at an angle.    perhaps make the screen texture not react to lighting and generate some of its own.  some of the issues can be a lack of proper lighting settings too, since I only ran this example through a few clicks in photoshop and it looks better. 

edwardo

Hey Bronson. There are a few comments I could make here... so bear in mind that I'm just being over critical.

The composition isn't great - try moving things about to get a better 'still life'. They are all quite small, tabletop items so I feel like you could get away with more dramatic perspective and more depth of field. Play about, and try to frame it up better.

Overall, colours and tones are a bit murky and 'autumny' - they could perhaps be improved some.

Your Ground plane is whats bothering me most (and is the main culprit of the dull colour palette). At the moment it looks like wood effect formica with a plastic sheen and over pronounced texture. Definitely try different ground materials, and keep them subtle.

Modelling all looks ok, but your 'altraman' sticker looks a bit unnatural and too curly (maybe). Its bloody hard modelling sheets of paper etc and getting them to look natural1

edwardo

oddly enough... I'm working on a shot of corp ID stationary (business card, pad, letterheads, branded pens etc etc.

I'll share any pearls of wisdom that I pick up along the way.

bronson

Edwardo & Zen,

Thanks very much for all your constructive inputs.  :D
Highly appreciate the details you described especially about DOF, ground plane texture, & phone screen.  :)

Thx
Bronson