How to apply separate decals to a single surface?

Started by Speedster, October 01, 2011, 09:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

I'm having fits with decals. I assume this is addressed in KS3, but I need to use multiple decals on a current project.

I can't apply separate (multiple) decals to a single surface.  Think sponsor decals on a racecar.  I apply the first decal, all OK as expected.  When I apply the second decal, the first disappears. And so on.  In the past I anticipated this and mapped those surfaces differently in CAD, then applied the same KS material to all.  I could place the individual decals onto those surfaces without issue.

I've seen some of you do this successfully.  What's the trick?

Thanks!
Bill G

Imz

Hi Bill,

I'm puzzled- I've actually been having pretty good luck with multiple labels on a surface... I just tried again, and laid one of my sketches and a logo on a can model I built a while ago.... I'm even getting nice overlapping characteristics on the same surface.

I'm guessing it's something you'll kick yourself for not seeing earlier- a radio button, or setting. I won't insult your [superior] knowledge of keyshot by giving you my settings, but it should work one way or another!

Could the file format matter? I use .png for ALL my labels...

Good luck!

Speedster

Hi Imz, and thanks for the comments. 

Yes, I'm very puzzled, as I've seen multiple decals many time on the Forum.  I usually use TIFF's with alpha, as well as Png's.  Iv'e tried both at one time!  No luck.  I've even renamed duplicates, when I have to apply more than one of the same decal. No luck.  I've check all the buttons, sliders, dials and widgets.  Nothing stands out.  "Repeat" works as it should, which I uncheck for this.  Frankly, I'm baffled!

Thomas, any clues?

Bill G
BTW- I sure don't have any "superior" knowledge.  I know some stuff, you know some stuff, we all know a lot of stuff.  But none of us know everything!

guest84672

Are you actually applying it as a label, not just a texture?

Speedster

Chad Holton

Hi Bill,

I'm about to send you an email to see if we can figure this issue out.

Chad

guest84672

Are you using the "+" key to add the labels? Otherwise you are just overwriting the current one.

Speedster

QuoteAre you using the "+" key to add the labels? Otherwise you are just overwriting the current one.

Of course not! I thought it meant "add a decal", not really add a decal.  :-[  Chad just called, and got me straightened out in 10 seconds.  You guys are great!  My mom always said "When in doubt, follow instructions".

Thanks!!
Bill G

Imz

One last question-

I'm assuming that Label 1 is on top, and subsequent labels stack underneath?

I like the layering effect I got on the test can I made for Bill earlier in this thread.

Speedster

That's what Chad showed me, and you can re-order them as well.  The + and - buttons bring forward or to the back.
Bill G