Apply text to a ribbon

Started by MikeKilo, August 01, 2019, 01:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeKilo

Hello all,

I am trying to add text to a ribbon using a label - no matter what mapping type I use, It does not fit properly - see attached picture.
Any ideas on how to make the label follow the curves of the ribbon?

Best regards,

MK

Eugen Fetsch

Can you UV unwrap the ribbon?

germannick

Your ribbon must be build with proper UV orientation. Than you can apply your text. make sure that  the label "mapping type" is set at UV.
Have a look at the attached *.ksp

germannick

Your ribbon must be build with proper UV orientation. Than you can apply your text. make sure that  the label "mapping type" is set at UV.

MikeKilo

Thanks for the help,

I managed to get some of the font right, as you can see from the attachment.
The part was done in solidworks, how can I fix the UV orientation?

BR,

MK

INNEO_MWo

I guess the Solidworks doesn't calculates any UV coordinates on this part.
But you can tweak the parameters for U and V to change the position (if you don't want to use the move tool).
And the depth parameter of the label should solve the cropped text, if you play with the value (default is 0 and means endless or unlimited depth)

Cheers
Marco

MikeKilo

Solidworks works on NURBS, there is no UV mapping.
When in UV Mapping, I think there is no "depth" option.

BR,

MK

INNEO_MWo

Oh, you're right - no depth value with UV mapping.

And now, do you find your solution?

MikeKilo

Not at the moment, I guess I'll have to do it in 3DS or something...

Eric Summers

You could apply the text to the geometry in SolidWorks. Perhaps a Wrap would work well. Of course you wouldn't be able to re-position or change in in KeyShot, but it could be an option.

Ryan Day

Might be too late for your purposes now, but it is possible to sort of get UV mapping working with a Solidworks model; something simple like this is definitely doable. In essence, Solidworks calculates the topology in a grid; this grid forms the foundations of what Keyshot understands for the UV coordinates of a Solidworks model.

First off, the entire ribbon surface must be only one face; no lines through it. If it was created with a sweep along a single spline curve, you should be fine here. If your sweep path has multiple profiles, you'll have to create a "fit spline" that combines all of those elements into one single spline curve. If the surface was built up in multiple steps, you'll have to loft/boundary surface a new face to replace it all.

Import the model into Keyshot and make sure you import the NURBS geometry; it's a bit slower to work with in KS but this is important for this to work. If you've set up the face properly in Solidworks, you'll be able to use the UV mapping option in Keyshot and it will apply the label properly.

Here's a great video tutorial from Magnus Skogsfjord outlining the process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDFg1rh_nE

I've used this process a couple times for properly texturing braided cable in Keyshot from Solidworks models.

unbreakable

Quote from: germannick on August 01, 2019, 10:54:45 PM
germannick, what software did you use to make this ribbon?

andy.engelkemier

Actually ALL NURBS objects have UV mapping, in the same way that every nurbs surface actually has 4 sides (it's just that some sides have zero length, or you can't see them because the 4 sided surface has been trimmed). But every surface has it's own by default. So if that is one continuous surface, Not trimmed, then it would look Great. But if it's multiple surfaces, less great because they likely won't flow together.

A good way to "fix" it is to delete the surfaces (I'm guessing there are multiple surfaces there) then do a rail sweep to put the surface back as one single surface. It will now be one nurbs surface, untrimmed. So your map will fit nicely.