Occlusion (procedural texture) and Fillets

Started by unbreakable, September 26, 2019, 12:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbreakable

Hi! I am a newbie in Keyshot. For my last project, I needed to make an opacity mask on the edges of the plane. Edges are not straight so Color Gradient was not the way. I was messing around with occlusion texture. And I've noticed that occlusion doesn't really work with fillets (though they are made of another material ). Is there a way to make it work with fillets? I've made another simple model to show what I mean:

INNEO_MWo

It looks like 2 or 3 different parts with different materials.

unbreakable

Quote from: MWo on September 27, 2019, 11:13:00 PM
It looks like 2 or 3 different parts with different materials.

Yes, it's 3 solid bodies. I split one solid body with surface intentionally for the demonstration. Here is one single part:

As I've read "occlusion can be thought of as shading determined by nearby geometry, so an occluded surface is one that's near to another surface" but it seems that it doesn't consider fillet as a surface.

TGS808

I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to do but will Curvature work? (this also uses a Color to Number adjustment)

unbreakable

Quote from: TGS808 on September 28, 2019, 09:31:49 AM
I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to do but will Curvature work? (this also uses a Color to Number adjustment)

Thanks, but it still doesn't work for me.
I'll explain on my model. I am rendering plates that at first were polished in vibratory tumbler, then front and back sides and partially fillets were made satin finish and after that, they were bent.
Therefore rims are bumpy while front, backsides and partially fillets are satin finish. So I need a mask on approximately 1/3 widths (red pen on my picture) of fillets to make a transition between satin finish and bumpy/scratched surface of the rims. So far with both curvature and occlusion I've managed  to make mask either on whole fillet or none.

Actually, I was hoping to use displacement on rims but it looks like displacement map doesn't work with opacity therefore with masks (right?)

P.S. Sorry for my English.