New years rocket

Started by Zwilg, December 18, 2019, 05:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zwilg

Hello!

I decided quite early on that I wanted to experiment with the new 'fuzz' mechanic. I started by creating a simple model of the rocket in Zbrush, making it in 4 parts; snow mound, stick, rocket body and fuse.
I applied a stock wooden material to the stick, and a white textured plastic from the KeyShot cloud to the rocket body and snow mound. The gradients and logos are simple labels. The model itself is linked to further down in case anyone want to play around with it.

For the sparks I used the "Xray emissive" material from the cloud library, and changed the colours a tiny bit. The length variation and randomness of the fuzz was animated with quite jagged changes to give an illusion of random movement. The randomness was also kept quite limited to avoid the sparks curling too much. Images of the arrangement is attached.
The base meshes used was a disk with fuzz applied to one side for the engine, and a sphere for the fuse sparks. This was animated to track the fuse.
The fuse was animated to retract into the rocket, something which was surprisingly quick to do using the new nonlinear animation-curves.

Over to the fireworks itself; I used two base spheres, one with a blue polished metal material, and one with a light blue emissive property. This was to light up the interior of the fuzzy metal ball. Both of these spheres were faded in when they were required.

Final video (1440p for best results):

Rocket model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZbS5_XU_z_CiDvxyHbKgp0_7RBfvgf2M

If the laptop I'm using to during this holiday allows me to do more renders, I might experiment with some still images, with more emphasis on lightning and perhaps adding some smoke effects. I will in that case submit that image as a second entry.

Good luck everyone, and Merry Christmas!

Josh3D

Very interesting use of fuzz! Well done!

Zwilg

designgestalt

that is a very creative way of using the possibilties in KS indeed !
well done !

designgestalt

Zwilg

Quote from: designgestalt on December 19, 2019, 03:13:36 AM
that is a very creative way of using the possibilties in KS indeed !
well done !

designgestalt

Thank you, I appreciate it!